Building Connections Around Transition: Partnerships and Resources for Inclusion
This chapter describes the development of local networks to support transitions to school in one region of Victoria, Australia. Drawing on experiences of 14 different communities, it provides strategies for establishing networks within local communities and describes the development of resources for families, educators and other professionals to support children with additional needs as they make the transition to school.
KeywordsEarly Childhood Developmental Delay Foster Care Local Network Shared Understanding
- Astbury, B. (2009). Evaluation of transition: A positive start to school pilots. Centre for Program Evaluation Report. The University of Melbourne. http://www.eduweb.vic.gov.au/edulibrary/public/earlychildhood/learning/transitionevaluationreport.pdf. Accessed 5 June 2012.
- Broström, S. (2002). Communication and continuity in the transition from kindergarten to school. In H. Fabian & A.-W. Dunlop (Eds.), Transitions in the early years: Debating continuity and progression for children in early education (pp. 52–63). London: Routledge Falmer.Google Scholar
- Bridges, W. (1995). Managing transitions. Cambridge, MA: Da Capo Press.Google Scholar
- Centre for Equity and Innovation in Early Childhood. (2008). Literature review. Transition: A positive start to school. Melbourne: University of Melbourne. http://www.eduweb.vic.gov.au/edulibrary/public/earlychildhood/learning/transitionliteraturereview.pdf. Accessed 24 July 2012.
- Corter, C., & Peters, R. (2011). Integrated early childhood services in Canada: Evidence from the Better Beginnings, Better Futures (BBBF) and Toronto First Duty (TFD) Projects. Encyclopedia on Early Childhood Development. Toronto: Centre of Excellence for Early Childhood Development.Google Scholar
- http://www.child-encyclopedia.com/documents/Corter-PetersANGxp1.pdf. Accessed 7 June 2012.
- Department of Education and Early Childhood Development. (2007). Best Start program overview. Department of Human Services. State Government of Victoria. http://www.eduweb.vic.gov.au/edulibrary/public/beststart/best_start_overview_14032007.pdf. Accessed 4 Aug 2012.
- Department of Education and Early Childhood Development. (2008). Transition working party principles and definitions. Melbourne: Department of Education and Early Childhood Development.Google Scholar
- Dockett, S., & Perry, B. (2006). Starting school: A handbook for early educators. Castle Hill: Pademelon Press.Google Scholar
- Dunlop, A. W., & Fabian, H. (2002). Conclusions. In H. Fabian & A.-W. Dunlop (Eds.), Transitions in the early years: Debating continuity and progression for children in early education (pp. 146–154). London: Routledge Falmer.Google Scholar
- Edwards, B., Wise, S., Gray, M., Hayes, A., Katz, I., Mission, S., Patulny, R., & Muir, K. (2009). Stronger families in Australia study: The impact of Communities for Children. Canberra: Australian Government Department of Family, Housing, Community Services and Indigenous Affairs.Google Scholar
- Fabian, H., & Dunlop A. W. (2006). Outcomes of good practice in transition processes for children entering primary school. Paper commissioned for the EFA Global Monitoring Report 2007, Strong foundations: early childhood care and education. http://www.scribd.com/doc/50601340/null. Accessed 6 July 2012.
- Gippsland Early Childhood Intervention Advisory Network. (2009a). Best practice transition kit. http://www.gecian.org.au/3/17181/17181.html Accessed 11 July 2012.
- Gippsland Early Childhood Intervention Advisory Network. (2009b). Moving to school. http://www.gecian.org.au/3/17181/18520.html. Accessed 11 July 2012.
- Latrobe City Council. (2009). The year 8 report: Latrobe Valley neighbourhood renewal, 2002–2009. http://www.latrobe.vic.gov.au/WebFiles/Council%20Services/Community%20Development/00112%20LV%20Neighbourhood%20Renewal%20Report%20-%20Full%20Draft%20sml.pdf. Accessed 11 July 2012.
- Municipal Association of Victoria. (2006). Municipal early years plan initiative. http://www.mav.asn.au/policy-services/social-community/children-families/municipal-early-years-planning/Pages/default.aspx. Accessed 4 July 2012.
- Peters, S. (2010). Literature review: Transition from early childhood education to school. Ministry of Education New Zealand. www.educationcounts.govt.nz/publications. Accessed 5 July 2012.Google Scholar
- Rhode Island Kids Count. (2005). School readiness indicators initiative. www.GettingReady.org. Accessed 18 July 2012.