3D Bidirectional-Channel Routing Algorithm for Network-Based Many-Core Embedded Systems
Network-on-Chip (NoC) is an emerging technology designed for the communication of IPs in an embedded system. This paper proposes a 3D (Three-Dimensional) model for a Bi-directional NoC (BiNoC). This three-dimensional model inspires the development of a new routing algorithm for BiNoC, called Bidirectional Routing (Bi-Routing). Bi-Routing is a fully adaptive routing algorithm using different layers in the proposed three-dimensional model to avoid deadlock without prohibiting the use of any path. As such, Bi-Routing can improve the load balance and reduce the packet latency of an NoC. Experimental simulation results demonstrated superior performance compared with existing routing methods.
KeywordsThree-dimensional (3D) Network-on-chip (NoC) Bidirectional channel Routing algorithm
This work was partially supported by National Science Council, ROC, under grant NSC-101-2220-E-002-008.
- 1.Dally WJ, Towles B (2011) Route packets, not wires: on-chip interconnection networks. In: Proceedings of the design automation conference, pp 684–689Google Scholar
- 3.Jantsch A, Tenhunen H, Ebrary I (2003) Networks on chip. Kluwer Academic Publishers, DordrechtGoogle Scholar
- 4.Lan YC, Lo SH, Hu YH, Chen SJ (2009) BiNoC: a bidirectional NoC architecture with dynamic self-reconfigurable channel. In: Proceedings of the 3rd ACM/IEEE international symposium on network-on-chip, San Diego, pp 266–275Google Scholar
- 6.Lo SH, Lan YC, Yeh HH, Tsai WC, Hu YH, Chen SJ (2010) QoS aware BiNoC architecture. In: Proceedings of the 24th IEEE international parallel & distributed processing symposium, Atlanta, pp 1–10Google Scholar
- 7.Tsai WC, Zheng DY, Chen SJ, Hu YH (2001) A fault-tolerant NoC scheme using bidirectional channel. In: Proceedings of the 48th design automation conference, San Diego, pp 918–923Google Scholar
- 10.Dally WJ, Seitz CL (1987) Deadlock-free message routing in multiprocessor interconnection networks. IEEE Trans Comput C-36(5):547–553Google Scholar