Geert Wilders and the Anti-Muslim Movie Fitna
This chapter consists of an analysis of H Gerrt Wilders’ controversial anti-“Islamisation” film Fitna, and of the polemics that both preceded and followed its release. To do justice to this debate, both Wilders’ criticism of Islam and the response it generated will be described, contextualised and assessed. In addition, the chapter will present a more broad discussion about the important role played by new information and communication technologies in the discourse on Muslims in Europe, with both detractors and defenders of Islam increasingly turning from the older print medias to the high-speed, and sometimes volatile, discussion-climate of the Internet.
KeywordsDutch Government Muslim Population Parliamentary Debate Islamic Organization Islamic Fundamentalism
- Bunzl, Matti. 2007. Anti-semitism and Islamophobia: Hatreds old and new in Europe. Chicago: Prickly Paradigm Press.Google Scholar
- Buruma, Ian. 2006. Murder in Amsterdam: The death of Theo Van Gogh and the limits of tolerance. London: Atlantic.Google Scholar
- Derlagen, Christian. 2009. Anti-immigration, Eurosceptic ‘freedom party’: What Geert Wilders wants. Retrieved from http://www.eudebate2009.eu/eng/article/30245/geert-wilders-holland-freedom-party-eu-elections.html. Printed 12 Oct 2009.
- Huntington, Samuel P. 1998. The clash of civilizations and the remaking of world order. London: Touchstone Books.Google Scholar
- Nachmani, Amikam. 2009. Europe and its Muslim minorities: Aspects of conflict, attempts at accord. Brighton/Portland: Sussex Academic Press.Google Scholar
- Poohl, Daniel. 2007. Enade mot islam. Expo (4): 22–24Google Scholar
- Tran, Mark. 2008. Dutch government could ban anti-Islam film. Guardian.co.uk, March 3, 2008. Retrieved from http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2008/mar/03/netherlands.islam. Printed 19 Oct 2009.
- Weaver, Matthew. 2010. Angela Merkel: German multiculturalism has ‘utterly failed’. Guardian.co.uk, October 17. Retrieved from http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/oct/17/angela-merkel-german-multiculturalism-failed.
- Wehr, Hans. 1979. In A dictionary of modern written Arabic, ed. J. Milton Cowan. Wiesbaden: Otto Harrassowitz.Google Scholar
- Wilder, Geert. 2007. Genoeg is genoeg: Verbied de Koran. De Volkskrant, January 27, 2007. Retrieved from http://www.volkskrant.nl/binnenland/article451338.ece/Genoeg_is_genoeg_verbied_de_Koran. Printed 22 Oct 2009.