International Quality Assurance: Where Have We Been and Where Are We Going?
Significant growth in higher education enrollments, international student mobility, the growth of for-profit higher education, and concerns about international competitiveness, accompanied by emphasis on international rankings and world-class universities, have resulted in an unprecedented concentration on the academic quality of colleges and universities worldwide. How have the quality assurance and accreditation communities responded to these developments? What is the likely shape and operation of international quality assurance and accreditation in the future?
KeywordsHigh Education Quality Assurance Student Achievement International Competitiveness Private Benefit
- Academic Rankings of World Universities. (2012). http://www.shanghairankings.com/arwu2012. Accessed 23 Feb 2013.
- Altbach, P. G., Reisberg, L., & Rumbley, L. E. (2009). Trends in higher education: Tracking an academic revolution executive summary. Boston: Boston College.Google Scholar
- European Association for Quality Assurance in Higher Education. (2011). ENQA position paper on transparency tools. http://www.ENQA.EU/bolognA-ENQASTATements/ASSO. Accessed 18 July 2013.
- European Higher Education Area. (2013). http://www.ehea.info. Accessed 23 Feb 2013.
- Global University Network For Innovation. (2007). Higher education in the World 2007. Accreditation for quality assurance: What is at stake? Basingstoke/New York: Palgrave Macmillan.Google Scholar
- Hazelkorn, E. (2011, March 13). Questions abound as the college-rankings race goes global. The Chronicle of Higher Education. http://chronicle.com/article/Questions-Abound-as-the/12669/. Accessed 9 July 2012.
- Institute of International Education. (2011). Open doors: Report on international educational exchange. Washington, DC: National Press Club. http://www.iie.org/Research-and-Publications/Open-Doors/Data. Accessed 12 Aug 2012.
- Lewis, R. (2009). Qualifications frameworks. Presentation to the Council for Higher Education Accreditation 2009 International Seminar. http://www.chea.org/Research/index.asp. Accessed 29 July 2012.
- Lumina Foundation. (2012). The degree qualifications profile. http://www.luminafoundation.org/tag/dqp. Accessed 22 Aug 2012.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. (2012). Testing student and university performance globally: OECD’s AHELO. http://www.oecd.org. Accessed 22 Aug 2012.
- Salmi, J. (2009). The challenge of establishing World-class universities: Executive summary. Washington, DC: The World Bank.Google Scholar
- The European Classification of Higher Education Institutions. (2012). About the U-Map project. www.u-map.eu/about.doc/. Accessed 22 Aug 2012.
- U.S. News and World Report. (2013). http://www.usnews.com/rankings. Accessed 24 Feb 2013.
- U-Multirank: A Multi-dimensional Global University Ranking. (2012). www.u-multirank.eu. Accessed 12 Aug 2012.
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization. (2009). World conference on higher education: The new dynamics of higher education and research for societal change and development communiqué. Paris: UNESCO.Google Scholar
- United States Department of Education. National Center for Education Statistics. (2012). College navigator. http://nces.ed.gov/collegenavigator/. Accessed 27 Aug 2012.