A Distributed-in-Time NMPC-Based Coordination Mechanism for Resource Sharing Problems
In this chapter, a hierarchical model predictive control framework is presented for a network of subsystems that are submitted to general resource sharing constraints. The method is based on a primal decomposition of the centralized open-loop optimization problem over several subsystems. A coordinator is responsible of adjusting the parameters of the problems that are to be solved by each subsystem. A distributed-in-time feature is combined with a bundle method at the coordination layer that enables to enhance the performance and the real-time implementability of the proposed approach. The scheme performance is assessed using a real-life energy coordination problem in a building involving 20 zones that have to share a limited amount of total power.
This work is part of HOMES collaborative program. This program is funded by OSEO.
- 1.E. Camponogara, D. Jia, B.H. Krogh, S. Talukdar. Distributed model predictive control. IEEE Control Syst. Mag. 22(1):44–52 (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.R.R. Negenborn, B. De Schutter, J. Hellendoorn, Multi-agent model predictive control: a survey. In Technical report 04–010 -Delft Center for Systems and Control -Delft University of Technology (2004)Google Scholar
- 3.H. Scheu, J.C. Calderon, D. Doan, J.F. Garcia, R.R. Negenborn, A. Tarau, F.V. Arroyave, B.D. Schutter, J.J. Espinosa, W. Marquardt, Report on assessment of existing coordination mechanisms for simple case studies, and on possible options for improving and extending these coordination mechanisms. Hierarchical and Distributed Model Predictive Control of Large-Scale Systems-Deliverable Number: 3.3.1/ Senventh Framework programme theme—ICT, 2009Google Scholar
- 4.M. Diehl, Report of literature survey, analysis, and comparison of on-line optimization methods for hierarchical and distributed MPC. Hierarchical and Distributed Model Predictive Control of Large-Scale Systems-Deliverable Number: 4.1.1/ Senventh Framework programme theme —ICT, 2009Google Scholar
- 5.M.Y. Lamoudi, M. Alamir, and P.Bèguery, Distributed constrained model predictive control based on bundle method for building energy management. in 50th IEEE conference on decision and control and european control conference, Orlando, 12–15 December 2011Google Scholar
- 6.M.Y. Lamoudi, M. Alamir, P.Bèguery, Model predictive control for energy management in buildings- part 2: distributed model predictive control. in IFAC workshop on nonlinear model predictive control (The Netherlands, 2012)Google Scholar
- 10.M.Y. Lamoudi, M. Alamir, and P.Bèguery, Unified NMPC for multi-variable control in smart buildings. in IFAC 18th World Congress, Milano, 28 August–2 September 2011Google Scholar
- 11.M.Y. Lamoudi, M. Alamir, P. Bèguery, Model predictive control for energy management in buildings- part 1: zone model predictive control. in IFAC workshop on nonlinear model predictive control (The Netherlands, 2012)Google Scholar