Three Case Studies
This chapter will introduce three real-world case studies involving pervasive information and communication technology (PICT) systems and the ethical issues which can arise during the development and deployment of these systems and technologies. The sensor-effector system model will be used to decompose the larger area of PICT into three areas of focus: sensors, effectors, and the systems these elements form with their control logic. Each of these areas will be examined through a real-world example and discussion of the issues inherent in the pervasive use of information technology in that area. In the first case, our over-reliance on GPS systems will serve as an example of the issues related to pervasive sensors. In the second case, the dangers of computer viruses and worms such as Stuxnet will illustrate what can arise with pervasive effectors. Finally, the Flash Crash experienced by the stock markets in 2010 will exemplify what can occur when sensors, effectors, and their control logic are combined into autonomous systems and deployed pervasively throughout a world.
- 2009. 11-year-old boy dies after mom says GPS left them stranded in Death Valley. Associated Press. August 8, 2009. http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,538323,00.html. Accessed online 13 Apr 2012.
- Angel, J., and D. McCabe. 2010. Ethical standards for stockbrokers: Fiduciary or suitability? September 30, 2010. http://ssrn.com/abstract=1686756. Accessed online 13 Oct 2011.
- Arthur, C. 2012. Cyber-attack concerns raised over Boeing 787 chip’s ’back door’. The Guardian, May 29, 2012. http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/may/29/cyber-attack-concerns-boeing-chip. Accessed online 29 May 2012.
- Bamford, J. 2012. The NSA is building the country’s biggest spy center (Watch what you say). Wired Magazine. http://www.wired.com/threatlevel/2012/03/ff_nsadatacenter/all/1. Accessed online 13 Apr 2012.
- Bell, A. 2010. FINRA sticks with securities in suitability proposal. National Underwriter, August 19, 2010. http://www.lifeandhealthinsurancenews.com/News/2010/8/Pages/FINRA-Sticks-With-Securities-in-Suitability-Proposal.aspx?page=1. Accessed online 13 Oct 2011.
- Brennan, T. 2010. Emergency beacons can be beneficial, but can cause problems for rescuers. KBTX, September 16, 2010. http://www.ktvb.com/home/Locating-beacons-provide-benefits-to-users-headaches-for-others-103099444.html. Accessed online 25 May 2012.
- Brenner, B. 2012. Analyst: Duqu is all a bunch of hype. CSO, December 2011/January 2012, 13.Google Scholar
- Clark, K. 2011. The GPS: A fatally misleading travel companion, July 26, 2011. http://www.npr.org/2011/07/26/137646147/the-gps-a-fatally-misleading-travel-companion. Accessed online 15 Apr 2012.
- Cliff, D. and L. Northrop. 2011. The global financial markets: An ultra-large-scale systems perspective, December 23, 2011. http://www.bis.gov.uk/assets/foresight/docs/computer-trading/11-1223-dr4-global-financial-markets-systems-perspective. Accessed online on 1 May 2012.
- Denning, T., C. Matuszek, K. Koscher, J. Smith, and T. Kohno. 2009. A spotlight on security and privacy risks with future household robots: Attacks and lessons. Ubicomp ’09- Proceedings of the 11th international conference on ubiquitous computing, 105–114. Orlando, FL, USA.Google Scholar
- Fein, M. 2010. Brokers and investment advisers standards of conduct: Suitability vs. fiduciary duty, August 31, 2010. http://ssrn.com/abstract=1682089
- Gross, M. 2011. A declaration of cyber-war. Vanity Fair. http://www.vanityfair.com/culture/features/2011/04/stuxnet-201104. Accessed online 13 Apr 2012.
- Herbert, G. 2012. Microsoft ‘avoid ghetto’ app for smartphones’ GPS navigation stirs controversy. The Post Standard, January 11, 2012. Syracuse. http://www.syracuse.com/news/index.ssf/2012/01/microsoft_avoid_ghetto_app_windows_phone.html. Accessed online 18 Apr 2012.
- Hollis, D. 2011. Cyberwar case study: Georgia 2008. Small Wars Journal, January 6, 2011. http://smallwarsjournal.com/blog/journal/docs-temp/639-hollis.pdf. Accessed online on 28 May 2012.
- IAEA Board of Governors. 2009. Implementation of the NPT safeguards agreement and relevant provisions of security council resolutions 1737 (2006), 1747 (2007),1803 (2008) and 1835 (2008) in the Islamic Republic of Iran, February 19, 2009. http://www.iaea.org/Publications/Documents/Board/2009/gov2009-8.pdf. Accessed online 13 Apr 2012.
- Koscher, K., A. Czeskis, F. Roessner, S. Patel, T. Kohno, S. Checkoway, et al. 2010. Experimental security analysis of a modern automobile. Paper presented at the Security and Privacy (SP), 2010 IEEE symposium on security and privacy.Google Scholar
- Koscher, K., A. Czeskis, F. Roessner, S. Patel, and T. Kohno. 2012. Experimental security analysis of a modern automobile. Paper presented at the 2010 IEEE symposium on security and privacy, Oakland, 16–19 May 2012.Google Scholar
- Norwegian court acquits day traders in algo cracking case. 2012. Finextra Research, May 2, 2012. http://www.finextra.com/news/fullstory.aspx?newsitemid=23677. Accessed online 01 June 2012.
- Sanger, D.E. 2012. Obama order sped up wave of cyberattacks against Iran. 2012. NY Times, June 1, 2012. http://www.nytimes.com/2012/06/01/world/middleeast/obama-ordered-wave-of-cyberattacks-against-iran.html. Accessed online 21 June 2012.
- Searing, D. 2012. A creator’s ethics- beyond engineering ethics- a first step. Paper presented at the twenty-first annual meeting of the association for practical and professional ethics, Cincinnati, 1–3 Mar 2012.Google Scholar
- Searing, D. and E. Searing. 2011. Playing the market good or well?: The ethical implications of the ‘flash crash’. Case study presented at the 12th annual meeting of the association for practical and professional ethics, Cincinnati, 3–15 Mar 2011.Google Scholar
- Serchuk, D. 2009. Suitability: Where brokers fail. Forbes.com., June 24, 2009. http://www.forbes.com/2009/06/23/suitability-standards-fiduciary-intelligent-investing-brokers.html. Accessed online 13 Oct 2001.
- Smith, A. 1991. The wealth of nations. New York: Alfred A. Knopf.Google Scholar
- Tremlett, G. 2010. GPS directs driver to death in Spain’s largest reservoir. The Guardian, October 4, 2010. http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2010/oct/04/gps-driver-death-spanish-reservoir. Accessed online 15 Apr 2012.
- U.S. Commodity Futures Trading Commission (CFTC) and U.S. Securities & Exchange Commission (SEC). 2010. Findings regarding the market events of May 6, 2010: Report of the staffs of the CFTC And SEC to the joint advisory committee on emerging regulatory issues, 30 Sept 2010. http://www.sec.gov/news/studies/2010/marketevents-report.pdf. Accessed online 13 Oct 2010.
- US Const., Art. 3, sec. 3. http://memory.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/r?ammem/bdsdcc:@field%28DOCID+@lit%28bdsdccc0801%29%29. Accessed 14 Apr 2012.
- Ward, A. 2010. Norwegians convicted for outwitting trading system. Financial Times, October 13, 2010, 7:17 pm. http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/f9d1a74a-d6f3-11df-aaab-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1sAPjPv00. Accessed 14 Apr 2012.
- Ward, A. and J. Grant. 2010. A tale of man versus algo in Norway. Financial Times, October 14, 2010, 10:27 pm. http://www.ft.com/intl/cms/s/0/9a4aa5b8-d7bd-11df-b478-00144feabdc0.html#axzz1sAPjPv00. Accessed 14 Apr 2012.
- World Trade Organization. 2011a. United States – Measures Concerning The Importation, Marketing and Sale of Tuna and Tuna Products: Report of the Panel.” Case Number 11-4239. http://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/dispu_e/381r_e.pdf. Accessed on 14 Apr 2012.
- World Trade Organization. 2011b. United States – Certain Country of Origin Labelling (Cool) Requirements: Reports of the Panel. Case Number 11-5865. http://www.wto.org/english/tratop_e/dispu_e/384_386r_e.pdf. Accessed on 14 Apr 2012.