Optimal Power Conversion of Standalone Wind Energy Conversion Systems Using Fuzzy Adaptive Control
This chapter presents an advanced control technique to deal with the maximum power conversion problem of a standalone Wind Energy Conversion Systems (WECS) with Permanent Magnet Synchronous Generators (PMSG). The proposed method, which is different from traditional Maximum Power Point Tracking (MPPT) methods, is based on a fuzzy adaptive control scheme in which the adaptation is obtained from the Lyapunov analysis and carried out by the fuzzy logic technique. The superiority of the advanced control technique is shown by numerical simulations with comparison between the proposed controller’s performance and a nonlinear feedback linearization controller’s performance.
KeywordsFuzzy adaptive control Lyapunov analysis Nonlinear feedback linearization control Optimal power conversion Permanent magnet synchronous generator Standalone wind energy conversion system.
- 1.Musgrove P (2010) Wind power. Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, MAGoogle Scholar
- 3.Stiebler M (208) Wind energy systems for electric power generation. Springer, New York. Google Scholar
- 10.Munteanu I, Bratcu A, Cutuluslis N, Ceanga E (2008) Optimal control of wind energy systems: toward a global approach. Springer, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- 13.Nguyen H, Naidu D (2012) Direct fuzzy adaptive control for standalone wind energy conversion systems. In: Lecture notes in engineering and computer science, Proceedings of the world Congress on engineering and computer Science, WCECS 2012, October 24–26, 2012, San Francisco, USA, vol II, pp 994–999 (2012).Google Scholar
- 14.Huynh HT (2006) Intelligent control systems. Ho Chi Minh National University Press.Google Scholar
- 15.Spooner J, Passino K (1996) Stable adaptive control using fuzzy systems and neural networks. IEEE Trans Fuzzy Syst 4(3):339–359 16.Google Scholar
- 16.Wang LX (1996) A course in fuzzy systems and control. Prentice-Hall. Inc., New JerseyGoogle Scholar
- 17.Khalil H (1996) Nonlinear systems, 2nd edn. Prentice-Hall. Inc., New JerseyGoogle Scholar