A New Sensitive Data Aggregation Scheme for Protecting Data Integrity in Wireless Sensor Network
Since wireless sensor networks (WSNs) are resources-constrained, it is very essential to gather data efficiently from the WSNs so that their life can be prolonged. Data aggregation can conserve a significant amount of energy by minimizing transmission cost in terms of the number of data packets. Many applications require privacy and integrity protection of the sampled data while they travel from the source sensor nodes to a data collecting device, say a query server. However, the existing schemes suffer from high communication cost, high computation cost and data propagation delay. To resolve the problems, in this paper, we propose a new and efficient integrity protecting sensitive data aggregation scheme for WSNs. Our scheme makes use of the additive property of complex numbers to achieve sensitive data aggregation with protecting data integrity. With simulation results, we show that our scheme is much more efficient in terms of both communication and computation overheads, integrity checking and data propagation delay than the existing schemes for protecting integrity and privacy preserving data aggregation in WSNs.
KeywordsSensor network Data aggregation Integrity Data privacy Signature
This research was supported by Basic Science Research program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) funded by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (grant number 2010-0023800).
- 1.Considine J, Li F, Kollios G, Byers J (2004) Approximate aggregation techniques for sensor databases. In: Proceedings of ICDE, April 2004Google Scholar
- 2.Conti M, Zhang L, Roy S, Di Pietro R, Jajodia S, Mancini L-V (2009) Privacy-preserving robust data aggregation in wireless sensor networks. Secur Commun Netw 2:195–213Google Scholar
- 3.He W, Liu X, Nguyen H, Nahrstedt K, Abdelzaher T (2008) iPDA: an integrity-protecting private data aggregation scheme for wireless sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the IEEE MILCOMGoogle Scholar
- 4.Castelluccia C, Mykletun E, Tsudik G (2005) Efficient aggregation of encrypted data in wireless sensor networks. In: The second annual international conference on mobile and ubiquitous systems: networking and services, pp 109–117Google Scholar
- 5.He W, Liu X, Nguyen H, Nahrstedt K (2009) A Cluster-based protocol to enforce integrity and preserve privacy in data aggregation. In: Proceedings of the 29th IEEE international conference on distributed computing systems workshops, pp 14–19Google Scholar
- 6.Zobel J, Moffat A, Ramamohanarao K (1998) Inverted files versus signature file for text indexing. ACM TDS 23(4):453–490Google Scholar
- 7.Bista R, Chang JW (2010) Energy efficient data aggregation for wireless sensor networks. Sustainable wireless sensor networks, ISBN, pp 978–995Google Scholar
- 8.Blaß E-O, Zitterbart M (2006) An efficient key establishment scheme for secure aggregating sensor networks. In: Proceedings of the 2006 ACM symposium on information, computer and communications security, March 2006, pp 303–310Google Scholar