Neuroblastoma: Inhibition by Alu-Like RNA
Neuroblastoma (NB) is one of the most frequent pediatric solid tumors characterized by remarkable cell heterogeneity within the cancer nodules. We have recently documented that the synthesis of a pol III-transcribed non-coding (nc) RNA (NDM29) strongly restricts NB development by promoting cell differentiation, a drop of malignancy processes and a dramatic reduction of the tumor initiating cells (TICs) fraction in the NB cell population. Importantly, the overexpression of NDM29 also confers to malignant NB cells an unpredicted susceptibility to the effects of antiblastic drugs used in NB therapy. Thus, treatments able to induce NDM29 expression within cancer cells, making the elusive cancer stem cells more vulnerable to the anticancer drugs, may be used synergistically with traditional cytotoxic therapy to obtain a more complete tumor eradication.
KeywordsTranscription Unit Cancer Nodule HeLa Cell Nuclear Extract Upstream Promoter Element Proximal Sequence Element
- Amid C, Bahr A, Mujica A, Sampson N, Bikar SE, Winterpacht A, Zabel B, Hankeln T, Schmidt ER (2001) Comparative genomic sequencing reveals a strikingly similar architecture of a conserved syntenic region on human chromosome 11p15.3 (including gene ST5) and mouse chromosome 7. Cytogenet Cell Genet 93:284–290PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- George RE, Variend S, Cullinane C, Cotterill SJ, McGuckin AG, Ellershaw C, Lunec J, Pearson AD (2001) Relationship between histopathological features, MYCN amplification, and prognosis: a UKCCSG study. United Kingdom Children Cancer Study Group. Med Pediatr Oncol 36:169–176.PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Massone S, Vassallo I, Fiorino G, Castelnuovo M, Barbieri F, Borghi R, Tabaton M, Robello M, Gatta E, Russo C, Florio T, Dieci G, Cancedda R, Pagano A (2011a) 17A, a novel non-coding RNA, regulates GABA B alternative splicing and signaling in response to inflammatory stimuli and in Alzheimer disease. Neurobiol Dis 41(2):308–317, Epub 2010 Oct 1. (a)PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Massone S, Vassallo I, Castelnuovo M, Fiorino G, Gatta E, Robello M, Borghi R, Tabaton M, Russo C, Dieci G, Cancedda R, Pagano A (2011b) RNA polymerase III drives alternative splicing of the potassium channel-interacting protein contributing to brain complexity and neurodegeneration. J Cell Biol 193(5):851–866PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pagano A, Castelnuovo M, Tortelli F, Ferrari R, Dieci G, Cancedda R (2007) New small nuclear RNA gene-like transcriptional units as sources of regulatory transcripts. PLoS Genet 3(e1):174–184Google Scholar