Multi-Factor Authentication Process Using More than One Token with Watermark Security
Authentication is the process of verifying a user’s credentials when they are requesting services from any secure system. A simple authentication only involves a username and password, which can be easily deciphered. Hacking technologies have become more diversified and advanced, security and authentication have become unable to rely on ID and password-based authentication alone. Single-factor authentication using an ID and password has been found to be vulnerable to malware attacks, replay attacks, offline brute force attacks, key logger trojans, dictionary attacks and shoulder surfing. Adding a strong factor will reduce the chances of the user’s identification from being hacked. This paper proposes a new multifactor authentication scheme, which combines with hard token, password and biometric token with watermark image. Compared with the previous schemes this scheme has higher security in remote authentication and lower communication complexity.
KeywordsMulti-factor authentication Watermarking Biometric authentication
I would like to express my heartfelt gratitude to MY PARENTS for their kind support which helps me to put my best effort in completion of this paper.
This research was supported by a research program of Dongseo University’s Ubiquitous Appliance Regional Innovation Center supported by the grants from Ministry of Knowledge Economy of the Korean government and Busan Metropolitan City (No. B0008352). And it also supported by NRF2012 project (grant number: 2012-0008447).
- 1.Lee JK, Ryu SR (2002) Fingerprint-based remote user authentication scheme using smart cards. Electron Lett 38(12):554–555Google Scholar
- 3.Yoon EJ, Yoo KE (2005) Secure fingerprint-based remote user authentication scheme using smartcards. In: Deng X, Ye Y (eds) LNCS, vol 3828. Springer, Heidelberg, pp 405–413Google Scholar
- 4.Pointcheval D, Zimmer S (2008) Multi-factor authenticated key exchange. ACNS 2008, LNCS, vol 5037. Springer, Heidelberg, pp 277–295Google Scholar
- 7.Kim J, Hong S (2011) A method of risk assessment for multi-factor authentication. J Info Pro Sys 7:187–198Google Scholar
- 8.Lin C-H, Lai Y-Y (2004) A flexible biometrics remote user authentication scheme. Comput Stand Interfaces 27:19–23Google Scholar
- 9.Yoon E-J, Yoo K-Y (2005) A new efficient fingerprint-based remote user authentication scheme for multimedia systems. KES 05, LNCS, vol 3683. Springer, Heidelberg, pp 332–338Google Scholar
- 10.OMB M-04-04 (2003) E-authentication guidance for Federal agencies. Dec 16Google Scholar
- 11.NIST (2006) Special publication 800-63. Electronic authentication guidelineGoogle Scholar
- 12.IETF RFC 4683 (2006) Internet X.509 public key infrastructure subject identification method (SIM)Google Scholar