Introduction Part A. Progress and Prospect of Growth of Wide-Band-Gap III-Nitrides
GaAs, InP, and their related compound semiconductors can be grown on native substrates, whereas such growth was not possible for group III nitride semiconductors in the 1970s and 1980s. Despite this drawback, researchers were able to use novel functions of group III nitride semiconductors by growing their thin films on nonnative substrates such as sapphire and Si. Today, white light emitting diodes (LEDs) based on nitrides on sapphire substrates are some of the most important key devices for energy savings given their use in general lighting. Also, LEDs and HFETs on Si are considered to be the next-generation high-performance and low-cost energy-saving devices. In this chapter, the author reviews the history of the growth of GaN by metalorganic vapor phase epitaxy using a buffer layer on nonnative substrates. The history of the low-temperature-deposited buffer layer and its impact on nitride research and the subsequent development of devices are explained.
KeywordsBuffer Layer Sapphire Substrate Nonnative Substrate Metalorganic Vapor Phase Epitaxy Hydride Vapor Phase Epitaxy
I wish to express my gratitude to M. Yamaguchi and Y. Honda, Nagoya University, and M. Iwaya, T. Takeuchi, S. Kamiyama and I. Akasaki of Meijo University for daily discussions.
- 17.M. Boulou, M. Furtado, G. Jacob, Philips Tech. Rev. 37, 237 (1977) Google Scholar
- 18.Y. Ohki, Y. Toyoda, H. Kobayashi, I. Akasaki, Inst. Phys. Conf. Ser. 63, 479 (1982) Google Scholar
- 26.Japan Patent, S60-256806 (1985) Google Scholar
- 27.Japan Patent, H3-89840 (1991) Google Scholar
- 29.G.V. Saparin, S.K. Obyden, I.F. Chetverkova, M.V. Chukichev, S.I. Popov, Vestn. Mosk. Univ. Ser. 3, Fis. Astron. 24, 56 (1983) Google Scholar
- 31.J.C. Philips, G. Lucovsky, Bonds and Bands in Semiconductors, 1st edn. (Momentum Press, New York, 1973), p. 239 Google Scholar
- 33.Japan Patent, H3-321353 (1991) Google Scholar
- 34.H. Amano, M. Kitoh, K. Hiramatsu, I. Akasaki, Inst. Phys. Conf. Ser. 106, 725 (1990) Google Scholar
- 35.T. Matsuoka, H. Tanaka, T. Sasaki, A. Katsui, Inst. Phys. Conf. Ser. 106, 141 (1990) Google Scholar