New Load Balancing Method for VoD Service
As IPTV services advance, an increasing user demand and tremendous content volume of multimedia content cause some difficulties in network resource management. In this paper, we propose an improved load balancing algorithm for VoD service. Unlike existing algorithms, the proposed algorithm considers users’ behaviors for VoD service, and determines the most efficient allocation of VoD requests by estimating expected server load and expected user waiting time. In order to evaluate our algorithm, we conduct a simulation of an IPTV network and verify the effectiveness of our system by comparing it with two baselines (Least Load and Nearest methods). As experimental results, the proposed system performs significantly better than the baselines. Consequently, the system can manage limited network resources efficiently and enhance QoE.
KeywordsResource management IPTV VoD server Load balancing User behaviors
This research was financially supported by research program, Chonnam National University, Korea, 2012.
- 1.Huang YF, Fang CC (2004) Load balancing for clusters of VoD servers. Inf Sci 164(1–4):113–138Google Scholar
- 2.Dakshayini M, Guruprasad H, Maheshappa H, Manjunath AS (2007) Load balancing in distributed VoD using local proxy server group. International conference on computational intelligence and multimedia applications, vol 4. pp 162–168Google Scholar
- 3.Sujatha D, Girish K, Rashmi B, Venugopal K, Patnaik L (2007) Load balancing in fault tolerant video server. LNCS, pp 306–315Google Scholar
- 4.Cha M, Rodriguez P, Moon S, Crowcroft J (2008) On next-generation telco-managed P2P TV architecture. International workshop on peer-to-peer systems (IPTPS)Google Scholar
- 5.Cha M, Rodriguez P, Crowcroft J, Moon S, Amatrianin X (2008) Watching television over an IP network. ACM SIGCOMM IMCGoogle Scholar
- 6.Kusmierek E, Czyrnek M, Mazurek C, Stroinski M (2007) iTVP: large-scale content distribution for live and on-demand video services. Multimedia computing and networking SPIE-IS&T electronic imaging, SPIE, vol 6504Google Scholar
- 7.Yu H, Zheng D, Zhao B, Zheng W (2006) Understanding user behavior in large-scale video-on-demand systems. In: Proceeding of EurosysGoogle Scholar
- 8.Kim J, Um T-W, Ryu W, Lee BS, Hahn M (2008) Heterogeneous networks & terminals-aware QoS/QoE-guaranteed mobile IPTV service. IEEE Commun Mag 46(5)Google Scholar
- 9.Jung Y, Park Y-m, Bae HJ, Lee BS, Kim J (2011) Employing collective intelligence for user driven service creation. IEEE Commun Mag 49(1):76–83Google Scholar
- 10.Leal RP, Cachinero JA, Martin EP (2011) New approach to inter-domain multicast protocols. ETRI J 33(3):355–365Google Scholar