A Community Detection Scheme in Delay-Tolerant Networks
Social analysis and community structure detection present a new angle of view in the design of data routing and dissemination in delay tolerant networks (DTNs). However, most community detection schemes developed in the context of sociology cannot be applied to DTNs since they have been designed without the consideration of the dynamic aspect of DTNs where the network topology changes and evolves over times. In this paper, we propose a new community detection algorithm which runs in a distributed and real-time manner and thus can be used in time-varying networks like DTNs. From the performance study, we show that our algorithm well adapts to dynamically changing networks.
KeywordsDelay-tolerant networks Social networks Community detection Time-varying networks
This paper was supported by Basic Science Research Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) funded by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (2012-0002558) and also supported by the Ministry of Knowledge Economy (MKE) and Korea Institute for Advancement in Technology (KIAT) through the Workforce Development Program in Strategic Technology.
- 1.Kayastha, N., Niyato, D., Wang, P., Hossain, E.: Applications, architectures, and protocol design issues for mobile social networks: A survey. Proc. IEEE 99(12), Dec (2011).Google Scholar
- 3.Zhu, Y., Xu, B., Shi, X., Wang, Y.: A survey of social-based routing in delay tolerant networks positive and negative social effects. Commun. Surv, Tutorials IEEE (2012)Google Scholar
- 4.Newman, M.E.J., Girvan, M.: Finding and evaluating community structure in networks. Phys. Rev. E vol. 69 (2004).Google Scholar
- 5.Raghavan, U.N., Albert, R., Kumara, S.: Near linear time algorithm to detect community structures in large-scale networks. Phys. Rev. E 76(3) (2007).Google Scholar
- 6.Chan, S., Hui, P., Xu, K.: Community detection of time-varying mobile social networks. Complex Sciences. Lecture Notes of the Institute for Computer Sciences, Social Informatics and Telecommunications Engineering, Springer, Heidelberg (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Hui, P., Yoneki, E., Chan, S.-Y., Crowcroft, J.: Distributed community detection in delay tolerant networks. Proceedings ACM International, Workshop Mobility Evolving Internet Architecture, In (2007)Google Scholar
- 8.Network Data Set, http://www-personal.umich.edu/ mejn/netdata/
- 9.Newman, M.E.J.: Analysis of weighted networks. Phys. Rev. E (2004).Google Scholar