Fast Coding Algorithm for High Efficient Video Coding (HEVC)
The JCT-VC is developing the next-generation video coding standard which is called a high efficiency video coding (HEVC). In the HEVC, there are three unit in block structure: coding unit (CU), prediction unit (PU), and transform unit (TU). The CU is the basic unit of region splitting like macroblock. The CU concept perform recursive splitting into four blocks with equal size, starting from the treeblock. We use mode information of the current CU to avoid unnecessary CU splitting process. To reduce more computational complexity, we propose a depth range selection mechanism (DRSM) by selecting adaptive depth range. The depth range selection mechanism provides an effective splitting by performing just CUs in want of process. The experimental results show that the proposed algorithm can achieve about 48 % of reduction in encoding time for RandomAccess HE compared to the HEVC test model (HM) 6.0 encoder with BD-bitrate loss of 1.2 %.
KeywordsHEVC Video coding Motion estimation Motion detection
The research was supported by the Korea Science and Engineering Foundation (KOSEF) grant funded by the Korea government (MEST), under Grant NRF-2010-0024786.
- 1.Wiegand, T., Sullivan, G.J.: The h.264/avc video coding standard. IEEE Signal Process. Mag. 24(2), 148–153 (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Lim, J.Y., Lee, Y.-L.: Early termination of cu encoding to reduce hevc complexity. JCTVC-F045, JCT-VC document (2011)Google Scholar
- 3.Jang, E.S., Choi, K., Park, S.-H.: Coding tree pruning based cu early termination. JCTVC-F092, JCT-VC document (2011)Google Scholar
- 4.Won, K., Lee, H., Jeon, B., Yang, J., Kim, J.: Early skip detection for HEVC. JCTVC-G543, JCT-VC document (2011)Google Scholar
- 5.Kim, J., Jeong, S., Cho, S., Choi, J.S.: Adaptive coding unit early termination algorithm for HEVC. In: International Conference on Consumer Electronics (ICCE). Las Vegas, Jan 2012Google Scholar
- 6.Zhao, L., Zhang, L., Ma, S., Zhao, D.: Fast mode decision algorithm for intra prediction in HEVC. In: International Conference on Visual Communications and Image Processing (VCIP) (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Leng, J., Lei, S., Ikenaga, T., Sakaida, S.: Content based hierarchical fast coding unit decision algorithm For HEVC. In: International Conference on Multimedia and Signal Processing (2011)Google Scholar
- 8.Bossen, F.: Common test conditions and software reference configurations. JCTVC-E700, JCT-VC document, Jan 2011Google Scholar