Rehabilitation of the Old Rossio Railway Station Building: Enlargement and Underpinning
This chapter describes the enlargement and underpinning of the old Rossio railway station building (1886). This work included the construction of new underground walls and mechanical stairways for the connection with a nearby underground metro station and also the construction of a new underground metro gallery for a new line, under some old, huge retaining walls that sustain the embankment of the railway platforms. A careful study was performed for this station in order to avoid unacceptable damages. Some of the system tests and suitability tests that were performed for the anchors are presented. The design of the retaining walls was based on Eurocode 7. The seismic design was based on Eurocode 8. The monitoring results of the anchor loads and ground displacements resulting from the excavation are presented.
KeywordsReinforce Concrete Peak Ground Acceleration Suitability Test Earth Pressure Station Building
Special thanks are due to REFER, EPE, and to LNEC for the permission to publish the results of old Rossio railway station. The support of Consortium and Metropolitano de Lisboa is acknowledged.
- Consortium (1996a) Section 60 – Restauradores-Baixa/Chiado. Geological and geotechnical report (in Portuguese). Doc. RT – 02.3-0238Google Scholar
- Consortium (1996b) Section 60 – Restauradores-Baixa/Chiado. Crossing under CP-Rossio. Numerical analysis of the principal retaining wall (in Portuguese). Doc. RT – 02.3-0168Google Scholar
- Consortium (1996c) Section 60 – Restauradores-Baixa/Chiado. Crossing under CP-Rossio. 3-D Analysis of the station building (in Portuguese). Doc. RT-02.3-0242, 31.12.96Google Scholar
- EN 1537 Execution of special geotechnical work – ground anchorsGoogle Scholar
- Eurocode 0 (1990) Basis of structural designGoogle Scholar
- Eurocode 1 (1991) Actions on structuresGoogle Scholar
- Eurocode 7 (1997) Geotechnical design-part 1. ENVGoogle Scholar
- Eurocode 8 (1998) Design of structures for earthquake resistance of structures. ENVGoogle Scholar
- European Standard EN 1537 (1994) Execution of special geotechnical work – ground anchorsGoogle Scholar
- RSA (1983) Regulamento de Segurança e Acções para Estruturas de Edifícios e Pontes. Decreto-Lei nº 235/83 de 31 de MaioGoogle Scholar
- Seco e Pinto PS, Barradas J, Sousa A (2008) Lessons learned from two case histories of retaining structures. In: 5th international conference on case histories in geotechnical engineering, Arlington, 2008Google Scholar