Extended Kalman Filter (EKF) with Sensitive Equation for the PEMFC Internal State Estimation
State estimation is widely used in the field of process system engineering. There are several available technologies regarding this topic, e.g. Extended Kalman Filter (EKF). The EKF is the variant of the standard Kalman filter and is successfully applied on the nonlinear systems for state estimation. As well known, the PEMFC is a typical nonlinear system, and some of the internal states are obtained costly, and even cannot be measured directly. Hence, in order to obtain these internal states effectively via collecting measurable variables, the EKF is applied in this study. The goal of this paper is to demonstrate the implementation of the EKF based on a PEMFC model which is taken in a literature, in order to estimate the following internal states: concentrations of vapor and oxygen in cathode chamber, as well as cell temperature. The corresponding results show that the EKF can serve as a ‘software sensor’ for the control design or the supervision in the fuel cell system.
KeywordsCase study Extended Kalman filter Implementation PEMFC system Sensitive equation Simulation study State estimation
- 2.Simon D (2009) Kalman filtering with state constraints: a survey of linear and nonlinear algorithms. IET Control Theory Appl Google Scholar
- 3.Kandepu R, Foss B, Imsland L (2007) Applying the unscented Kalman filter for nonlinear state estimation. J Process Control 18(7–8):753–768Google Scholar
- 6.Groetsch M, Mangold M, Sheng M, Kienle A (2006) State estimation of a molten carbonate fuel cell by an extended Kalman filter. In: 16th European symposium on computer aided process engineering and 9th international symposium on process systems engineering, pp 1161–1166Google Scholar
- 7.Kandepu R, Huang B, Imsland L, Foss B (2007) Comparative study of state estimation of fuel cell hybrid system using UKF and EKF. In: IEEE 2007 control and automation conference, pp 1162–1167Google Scholar
- 12.Liu J, Ji G, Zhou S (2012) Applying and implementation of the extended Kalman filter (EKF) with sensitive equation: a PEMFC case study. In: Lecture notes in engineering and computer science: proceedings of the international multiconference of engineers and computer scientists 2012, IMECS 2012, 14–16 March, 2012, Hong Kong, pp 864–868Google Scholar