Novel Internalizing Human Antibodies Targeting Brain Tumor Sphere Cells
Glioblastoma multiforme (GBM) is the most common and aggressive form of primary brain tumor current treatments are hampered by resistance and recurrence. A subpopulation of GBM tumor cells can grow as spheres when cultured in serum-free medium and these sphere cells exhibit enhanced tumor-initiating ability and drug resistance. Human monoclonal antibodies targeting brain tumor sphere cells have been identified by phage antibody display technology and could be useful for the development of novel therapies that target subpopulations of GBM cells to combat recurrence and resistance to treatment.
KeywordsGlioblastoma Multiforme Human Monoclonal Antibody Sphere Cell Bulk Tumor Tumor Sphere
- Bidlingmaier S, He J, Wang Y, An F, Feng J, Gao D, Nishimura S, Franc B, Broaddus CV, Liu B (2009) Identification of the antigen bound by a tumor-targeting phage antibody using yeast surface human proteome display: MCAM is a mesothelioma-associated cell surface antigen. Cancer Res 69(4):1570–1577PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chang JE, Khuntia D, Robins HI, Mehta MP (2007) Radiotherapy and radiosensitizers in the treatment of glioblastoma multiforme. Clin Adv Hematol Oncol 5(894–902):907–915Google Scholar
- Laks DR, Masterman-Smith M, Visnyei K, Angenieux B, Orozco NM, Foran I, Yong WH, Vinters HV, Liau LM, Lazareff JA, Mischel PS, Cloughesy TF, Horvath S, Kornblum HI (2009) Neurosphere formation is an independent predictor of clinical outcome in malignant glioma. Stem Cells 27:980–987PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lee J, Kotliarova S, Kotliarov Y, Li A, Su Q, Donin NM, Pastorino S, Purow BW, Christopher N, Zhang W, Park JK, Fine HA (2006) Tumor cells derived from glioblastomas cultured in bFGF and EGF more closely mirror the phenotype and genotype of primary tumors than do serum-cultured cell lines. Cancer Cell 9:391–403PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sheets MD, Amersdorfer P, Finnern R, Sargent P, Lindquist E, Schier R, Hemingsen G, Wong C, Gerhart JC, Marks JD (1988) Efficient construction of a large nonimmune phage antibody library: the production of high-affinity human single-chain antibodies to protein antigens. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 95(11):6157–6162CrossRefGoogle Scholar