Quality Education for All
I was born in Hobart in 1947. When I did my Diploma of Education in 1968 at the University of Tasmania, Charles Hardy was professor of education, and Phil Hughes was my lecturer for the statistics section of the course. At the same time, Phil was deputy director general in the education department. It was in the latter part of the 1980s that I came into frequent professional contact with Phil when he was professor of education at the University of Tasmania, and I was private secretary to the Minister for Education. I left Tasmania in early 1990 to become director of an international bilingual (English/French) IB (see below) school in France at Sophia Antipolis, Europe’s largest technology park between Nice and Cannes.
KeywordsQuality Education Progressive Education Didactic Teaching Academic Rigour International Baccalaureate
- Bennis, W. (1965,July). Beyond bureaucracy: Will organization men fit the new organizations?Society 2(5), 31–35.Google Scholar
- Delors, J. (Ed.) (1996).Learning: The treasure within. Paris: UNESCO.Google Scholar
- Flanagan, F. (1994).John Dewey in “The Great Educator Series”. Downloaded on April 17, 2011 athttp://www.admin.mtu.edu/ctlfd/Ed%20Psych%20Readings/dewey.pdf
- IB Learner Profile.http://www.ibo.org/programmes/profile/documents/Learnerprofileguide.pdf. Downloaded on 17 April.
- Neil, A. S. (2011).Summerhill school.http://www.summerhillschool.co.uk/pages/asneill.html. Downloaded 17 April 2011.
- OFSTED report on Summerhill (2007).http://www.ofsted.gov.uk/oxedu_reports/download/(id)/90088/(as)/124870_301621.pdf. Downloaded on 17 April 2011.