Transhuman Athletes and Pathological Perfectionism: Recognising Limits in Sports and Human Nature
In recent discussions in sports and bioethics there it has been suggested that sports may become a site where the modification of human nature itself might be played out. In this essay I explore the desirability of the idea that there might be athletes who could transcend humanity and thus transform sports. I argue that such a desire is a failure to consider the goodness of human and athletic vulnerability. I argue against the idea of the transhuman athlete, and reject it as a form of pathological perfectionism.
KeywordsHuman Nature Perfect Performance Regulative Rule Sport Engineer World Championship
- Aristotle. 1953. Metaphysics, Book 5 Ch 4; Book 7 Ch 4 (Trans W.D. Ross). Oxford: Clarendon PressGoogle Scholar
- Berlin, I. 1969. Four essays on liberty. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Best, D. 1978. Philosophy and human movement. London: George Allen & Unwin.Google Scholar
- Brown, W.M. 1992. Practices and prudence. Journal of the Philosophy of Sport XVII: 71–84.Google Scholar
- Daniels, N. 2009. Can anyone really be talking about ethically modifying human nature. In Enhancing human capacities, ed. N. Bostrom and J. Savulescu, 25–43. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Genetic Technologies. 2009. Sports performance ACTN3 Sports Gene Test_2006 [online]. Available from URL: http://www.gtg.com.au/archives/migration/2/110/383/ACTN3%20web%20brochure.pdf. Last accessed 27 Feb 2009.
- Heidegger, M. 1993. The question concerning technology. New York: Harper Collins.Google Scholar
- Holm, S. 2006. The nature of human welfare. In Future perfect? ed. P.M. Scott and C. Deane-Drummond. London: T & T Clark.Google Scholar
- Holm, S. 2007. Naturalness and anthropology in modern bioethics, with a special view to trans- and post-humanism. In Theology and science – Issues for future dialogue, ed. Kragh Helge. Aarhus: University of Aarhus Press.Google Scholar
- Holm, S., and M.J. McNamee. 2011. Physical enhancement: What baseline, whose judgement? In Enhancing human capabilities, ed. R.J.H. ter Meulen, G. Kahane, and J. Savulescu, 291–303. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Hurka, T. 1993. Perfectionism. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Juengst, E., et al. 2009. What’s taxonomy got to do with it? ‘Species integrity’, human rights and science policy. In Human enhancement, ed. J. Savulescu and N. Bostrom, 43–58. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Kerr, F. 1997. Immortal longings. London: SPCK.Google Scholar
- McKenny, G. 1997. To relieve the human condition. Brockport: SUNY.Google Scholar
- McNamee, M.J. 2008. Sports, virtues and vices. Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Miah, A. 2003. Genetically modified athletes. Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Miah, A. 2011. Will London be the first transhuman games? http://www.andymiah.net/2011/01/09/2012-the-first-transhuman-games/. Accessed 18 Mar 2011.
- Midgley, G.C.J. 1959. Linguistic rules. Proceedings of the Aristotelian Society 1960: 271–290.Google Scholar
- Morgan, W.P. 1993. Leftist theories of sports. Chicago: University of Chicago Press.Google Scholar
- Nussbaum, M.C. 1990. Love’s knowledge. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Passmore, J.A. 1970. The perfectibility of man. London: Duckworth.Google Scholar
- Reddiford, G. 1981. Morality and the games player. Physical Education Review 4(1): 8–16.Google Scholar
- Sandberg, A. 2001. Morphological freedom: Why we not just want it, but need it. http://www.nada.kth.se/∼asa/Texts/MorphologicalFreedom.htm. Last accessed 17 Feb 2012.
- Sansome, D. 1992. Greek athletics and the genesis of sports. Berkeley: University of California Press.Google Scholar
- Scheffler, I. 1991. In praise of the cognitive emotions. London: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Slote, M.D. 1983. Goods and virtues. Oxford: Clarendon.Google Scholar
- Suits, B. 1978. The grasshopper: Games, life and utopia. Toronto: University of Toronto Press.Google Scholar
- World Anti Doping Code. 2012. www.wada-ama.org/en/world-anti-doping-program/sports-and-anti-doping-organiszations/the-code/. Accessed 5 Mar 2012.