Challenges for the Realization of Ambient Intelligence
A decade after the ISTAG report, Ambient Intelligence is still not a concept which is widespread in industry and even less in society. This is not a surprise, nobody working in this area claimed it will be a trivial process or that can be achieved in a couple of years. There are still formidable challenges to be tackled by the scientific community and there is no guarantee we will solve all of them, but the more progress we make on some of those the closer we will be from a stage where some of the initial aims are adopted. This talk will highlight those challenges, explain why they are important and put forward the idea that we can possibly do significant progress exploring those avenues for innovation.
KeywordsAmbient Intelligence reliability interaction privacy
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Augusto, J.C.: Ambient Intelligence: the Confluence of Ubiquitous/Pervasive Computing and Artificial Intelligence. In: Intelligent Computing Everywhere, pp. 213–234. Springer (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Ducatel, K., Bogdanowicz, M., Scapolo, F., Leijten, J., Burgelman, J.-C.: Scenarios for Ambient Intelligence in 2010. IPTS, Seville (2001)Google Scholar
- 3.Aarts, E., Harwig, R., Schuurmans, M.: Ambient Intelligence. In: Denning, P. (ed.) The Invisible Future, pp. 235–250. McGraw Hill, New York (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Nakashima, H., Aghajan, H., Augusto, J.C. (eds.): Handbook on Ambient Intelligence and Smart Environments. Springer (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Dertouzos, M.: Human-centered Systems. In: Denning (ed.) The Invisible Future, pp. 181–192Google Scholar
- 9.Yuan, F., Prante, T., Röcker, C., van Alphen, D., Stenzel, R., Magerkurth, C., Lahlou, S., Nosulenko, V., Jegou, F., Sonder, F., Plewe, D.: Smart Artefacts as Affordances for Awareness in Distributed Teams. In: Yuan, F., Kameas, A.D., Mavrommati, I. (eds.) The Disappearing Computer. LNCS, vol. 4500, pp. 3–29. Springer, Heidelberg (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 10.Satoh, I.: An Agent-Based Framework for Context-Aware Digital Signage. In: Proceedings of ISAmI 2010, Salamanca, Spain, pp. 105–112 (2010)Google Scholar