Reliability and Efficiency Improvement for Trust Management Model in VANETs
In VANETs, how to determine the trustworthiness of event messages has received a great deal of attentions in recent years for improving the safety and location privacy of vehicles. Among these research studies, the accuracy and delay of trustworthiness decision are both important problems. In this paper, we propose a road-side unit (RSU) and beacon-based trust management model, called RaBTM, which aims to prorogate message opinions quickly while thwart internal attackers to send or forwarding forged messages in privacy-enhanced VANETs. To evaluate the reliability and efficiency of the proposed system, we conducted a set of simulations under alteration attacks and bogus message attacks with various adversary ratios. The simulation results show that the proposed RaBTM is highly resilient to adversarial attacks and performs at least 20% better than weighted vote (WV) scheme.
KeywordsVANET RSU-aided Trust Safety
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.The CAMP Vehicle Safety Communications Consortium: Vehicle Safety Communications Project Task 3 Final Report: Identify intelligent vehicle safety applications enabled by DSRC. National HighwayTraffic Safety Administration (2005) Google Scholar
- 2.Lin, X., Lu, R., Zhang, C., Zhu, H., Ho, P., Shen, X.: Security in vehicular ad hoc networks. IEEE on Communications Magazine 46, 88–95 (2008)Google Scholar
- 3.Dotzer, F., Fischer, L., Magiera, P.: VARS: A Vehicle Ad-Hoc Network Reputation System. In: Proceedings of the Sixth IEEE International Symposium on World of Wireless Mobile and Multimedia Networks, pp. 454–456. IEEE Computer Society (2005)Google Scholar
- 4.Ostermaier, B., Dotzer, F., Strassberger, M.: Enhancing the Security of Local Danger Warnings in VANETs - A Simulative Analysis of Voting Schemes. In: Proceedings of the The Second International Conference on Availability, Reliability and Security, pp. 422–431. IEEE Computer Society, Vienna (2007)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Lo, N.-W., Tsai, H.-C.: A Reputation System for Traffic Safety Event on Vehicular Ad Hoc Networks. EURASIP Journal on Wireless Communications and Networking 2009 (2009)Google Scholar
- 7.Raya, M., Papadimitratos, P., Gligor, V.D., Hubaux, J.-P.: On Data-Centric Trust Establishment in Ephemeral Ad Hoc Networks. In: The 27th Conference on Computer Communications, IEEE INFOCOM 2008, Phoenix, AZ, pp. 1238–1246 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Aifeng, W., Jianqing, M., Shiyong, Z.: RATE: A RSU-Aided Scheme for Data-Centric Trust Establishment in VANETs. In: 2011 7th International Conference on Wireless Communications, Networking and Mobile Computing (WiCOM), pp. 1–6 (2011)Google Scholar
- 9.Wei, Y.-C., Chen, Y.-M., Shan, H.-L.: Beacon-based trust management for location privacy enhancement VANETs. In: 2011 13th Asia-Pacific on Network Operations and Management Symposium (APNOMS), Taipei, Taiwan, pp. 1–8 (2011)Google Scholar
- 12.Li, W., Joshi, A.: Outlier Detection in Ad Hoc Networks Using Dempster-Shafer Theory. In: Proceedings of the 2009 Tenth International Conference on Mobile Data Management: Systems, Services and Middleware. IEEE Computer Society (2009)Google Scholar