Wound Healing Effect by 633 nm Wavelength Using LED Irradiator
This study verified the performance and effectiveness of 633nm LED irradiator that was designed to emit similar wavelengths to that of a laser and thus could be used instead of a low level laser in experiments on cells and animals. In order to examine the effect of the 633nm LED irradiator on wounds, a round slice of wound 1 cm in diameter was cut on the back of the laboratory animal. Laboratory animals treated with 633nm LED irradiation (p<0.05) healed at a faster rate than non-irradiated controls. The LED irradiated groups also had more collagenosis, according to Masson’s trichrome staining for collagen analysis. In conclusion, 633nm LED irradiation had a beneficial effect on wound healing and could probably replace low level laser therapy.
KeywordsLight emitting diode Low level laser therapy Cell proliferation Wound healing
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 5.Shiroto, C., Sugawara, K., Kumae, T., One, Y., Sasaki, M., Ohshiro, T.: Effect of diode laser radiation in vitro on activity of human neutrophils. Laser Therapy 1, 135–140 (1989)Google Scholar
- 6.Bisht, D., Gupta, S.C., Misra, V., Mital, V.P., Sharma, P.: Effect of low intensity laser radiation on healing of open skin woulds in rats. Indian J. Med. Res. 100, 43–46 (1994)Google Scholar
- 10.Alena, R.A.P.M., Livia, S.P., Silvia, R.A.R., Zilton, A.A.: Influence of low level laser therapy on wound healing and its biological action upon myofibroblasts. Lasers Surg. Med. 32, 239–224 (2003)Google Scholar
- 15.Yahr, W.Z., Strully, K.T.: Blood vessel anastomosis by laser and other by laser and other biomedical applications. J. Ass. Advanc. Med. 1, 28–31 (1966)Google Scholar
- 17.Whelan, H.T., Houle, J.M., Whelan, N.T.: The NASA light-emitting diode medical program-progress in space flight and terrestrial applications. Space Tech. Appl. Intl. Forum 504, 37–43 (2000)Google Scholar
- 18.Whelan, H.T., Smits, R.L.J., Buchman, E.V., Whelan, N.T., Turner, S.G., Margolis, D.A., Cevenini, V., Stinson, H., Ignatius, R., Martin, T., Cwiklinski, J., Philippi, A.F., Graf, W.R., Hodgson, B.G.L., Kane, M., Chen, G., Caviness, J.: Effect of NASA light-emitting diode irradiation on wound healing. J. Clin. Laser Med. Surg. 19, 305–314 (2001)CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Cheon, M.W.: Wound Recovery of Light Irradiation by White LED. J. KIEEME 24, 42–55 (2011)Google Scholar