Checkpoint Sharing-Based Replication Scheme in Desktop Grid Computing
It is important to reduce turnaround time for all tasks against the presence of execution failures in desktop grids. To achieve this objective, this paper proposes a checkpoint sharing-based replication scheme where each task is basically allocated to multiple desktop resources under a hybrid P2P desktop grid architecture and intermediate execution results (i.e., checkpoints) can be transferred to other resources for its successive execution. To enhance turnaround time, the sequential task distribution based on checkpoints is applied to the scheme. Performance evaluation shows that our scheme is superior to the existing scheme with respect to reducing both turnaround time and total execution time, regardless of a failure rate.
KeywordsCheckpoint Sharing Replication Desktop Grids
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.SETI@Home, http://setiathome.berkeley.edu/
- 2.Anderson, D.: BOINC: A system for public-resource computing and storage. In: 5th IEEE/ACM Int. Workshop on Grid Computing, pp. 4–10 (2004)Google Scholar
- 5.Korea@Home, http://www.koreaathome.org/eng/
- 7.Domingus, P., Silva, J.G., Silva, L.: Sharing checkpoints to improve turnaround time in desktop grid computing. In: 20th Int. Conf. on Advanced Information Networking and Applications, pp. 6–11 (2006)Google Scholar
- 9.Bougueerra, M.S., Kondo, D., Trystram, D.: On the scheduling checkpoints in desktop grids. In: 11th IEEE/ACM Int. Symp. on Cluster, Cloud and Grid Computing, pp. 23–26 (2011)Google Scholar
- 10.Kondo, D., Chien, A.A., Casanova, H.: Resource management for rapid application turnaround on enterprise desktop grids. In: 2004 ACM/IEEE Conf. on Supercomputing, pp. 1–17 (2004)Google Scholar
- 11.Choi, S., Baik, M., Gil, J., Park, C., Jung, S., Hwang, C.: Group-based dynamic computational replication mechanism in peer-to-peer grid computing. In: Sixth IEEE Int. Symp. on Cluster Computing and the Grid Workshops (CCGRIDW 2006), pp. 1–12 (2006)Google Scholar