The Impact of Cache on Memory Test
In order to ensure the reliability of embedded systems, test of the embedded system memory is particularly important. Among the different types of algorithms proposed for testing memories, March test is the most popular one. Due to directly accessing memory, during the memory test, cache must be turned off, which greatly reduces the speed of memory access. In accordance with the characteristics of MPC8572 development platform and the memory fault models, we propose a method to speed up March test which takes advantage of cache to store data from memory for the CPU. However, turning on cache can mask many memory fault models. CPU can’t directly access memory, which causes memory test results inaccurate. In this paper, we focus on the impact of cache on memory test and analyze how cache can mask the memory fault models. Then, bases on this analysis, we propose a method to speed up March test. For different March operations, configuring the cache speeds up the memory test.
KeywordsCache Fault Model March Algorithm
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Hamdioui, S., Al-Ars, Z., van de Goor, A.J.: Testing Static and Dynamic Faults in Random Access Memories. In: 20th IEEE VLSI Test Symposium, pp. 395–400. IEEE (2002)Google Scholar
- 2.Irobi, S., Al-Ars, Z., Hamdioui, S.: Detecting Memory Faults in the Presence of Bit Line Coupling in SRAM Devices. In: Test Conference, pp. 1–10. IEEE Press, Austin (2010)Google Scholar
- 3.Hamdioui, S., Al-Ars, Z., van de Goor, A.J., Rodgers, M.: Linked Faults in Random Access Memories: Concept, Fault Models, Test Algorithms, and Industrial Results. Transactions on Computer-Aided Design of Integrated Circuits and Systems, 737–757 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Gayathri, C.V., Kayalvizhi, N., Malligadevi, M.: Generation of new march tests with low test power and high fault coverage by test sequence reordering using genetic algorithm. In: ARTCom 2009, Kottayam, Kerala, pp. 699–703 (2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Ren, A.-L., Ling, M., Wu, G.-L., Li, R.: An Efficient Diagnosis Algorithm for the Test of Embedded SRAM. Journal of Applied Sciences, 178–182 (2005) (in Chinese)Google Scholar
- 6.Benso, A., Bosio, A., Di Carlo, S., Di Natale, G., Prinetto, P.: March Test Generation Revealed. IEEE Transactions on Computers, 1704–1713 (2008)Google Scholar