Improvement of MASC Secure Tunnel Protocol for Monitoring Transport Containers
Since the September 11 terrorist attacks in the United States, the necessity of utilizing smart container is becoming a significant to strengthen the container security and increase the efficiency of container transport for international cargo. Lauf and Sauff proposed MASC-ST protocol for securely transmitting sensitive information gathered from sensors equipped in the container to a trusted third party that controls access to this information. However, we show that the protocol has some weaknesses, which are able to cause serious problems for container transport if this protocol is directly adopted in real fields, and also present an improvement to overcome the weaknesses while preserving the merits of their scheme.
KeywordsContainer Smart container Security Authentication Key agreement RFID USN Container monitoring
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Lauf, J.O., Gollmann, D.: Monitoring and Security of Container Transports, New Technologies, Mobility and Security (2007)Google Scholar
- 2.Lauf, J.O., Sauff, H.: Secure lightweight tunnel for monitoring transport containers. In: Proc. 3rd Int. Conf. Security and Privacy in Communication Networks-SecureComm 2007. IEEE Computer Society Press (September 2007)Google Scholar
- 3.Bellare, M., Rogaway, P.: Random Oracles are Practical: A Paradigm for Designing Efficient Protocols. In: 1st ACM Conference on Computer and Communications Security (1993)Google Scholar
- 4.Yoong, W.-J., Chung, S.-H., Kim, H.-P., Lee, S.-J.: Implementation of a 433MHz active RFID system for U-port. In: Proceedings of the Ninth International Conference on Advanced Communication Technology (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Kim, S.J., Deng, G., Gupta, S.K.S., Murphy-Hoye, M.: Intelligent Networked Containers for Enhancing Global Supply Chain Security and Enabling New Commercial Value. In: The 3rd Int’l Conf. on Communication System Software and Middleware (COMSWARE 2008) (2008)Google Scholar
- 6.IBM, IBM and Maersk, Logistics provide real-time cargo monitoring for global supply chain optimization, Press release, Webpage (September 2005), http://www-03.ibm.com/industries/government/doc/content/news/pressrelease/1383667109.html
- 7.Ryumduck, O., Jeyh, P.: A development of active monitoring system for intelligent RFID logistics processing environment. In: Advanced Language Processing and Web Information Technology, ALPIT 2008 (2008)Google Scholar
- 8.Craddock, R., Stansfield, E.S.: Sensor fusion for smart containers. In: IEE Seminar on Signal Processing Solutions for Homeland Security (2005)Google Scholar
- 9.Schaefer, S.: Secure trade lane: a sensor network solution for more predictable and more secure container shipments. In: Companion to the 21st ACM SIGPLAN Symposium on Object-Oriented Programming Systems, Languages, and Applications. ACM, Portland (2006)Google Scholar
- 10.Uckelmann, D.: A Definition Approach to Smart Logistics. Springer (2008)Google Scholar
- 11.ISO, ISO/FDIS 17363, Supply Chain Applications of RFID - Freight Containers (2007) Google Scholar
- 12.ISO, ISO/FDIS 18185-7, Freight Containers - Electronic Seals - Part 7: Physical Layer (2006)Google Scholar