Influence of epithermal muonic molecule formation on kinetics of the μCF processes in deuterium
The non-resonant formation of ddμ molecules in the loosely bound state in collisions of non-thermalized dμ atoms with deuterium molecules D2 has been considered. The process of such a type is possible only for collision energies exceeded the ionization potential of D2. The calculated rates of ddμ formation in the above-threshold energy region are about one order of magnitude higher than obtained earlier. The role of epithermal non-resonant μ-molecule formation for the kinetics of μCF processes in D2 gas was studied. It was shown that the non-resonant ddμ formation by dμ atoms accelerated during the cascade can be directly observed in the neutron time spectra at very short initial times.
KeywordsMuonic molecule Non-resonant formation Kinetics of μCF in deuterium
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Zel’dovich, Ya.B., Gershtein, S.S.: The nuclear reactions in cold hydrogen. Usp. Fiz. Nauk 71, 581 (1960) [Sov. Phys. Uspekhi 3, 593 (1961)]Google Scholar
- 4.Korobov, V.I., Puzynin, I.V., Vinitsky, S.I.: Bound states of hydrogen mesic molecular ions: variational approach. Muon Catal. Fusion 7, 63 (1992)Google Scholar
- 5.Vesman, E.A.: Concerning one possible mechanism of production of the mesic-molecular ion (ddμ) + . Pis’ma Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 5, 113 (1967) [Sov. Phys. JETP Lett. 5, 91 (1967)]Google Scholar
- 6.Men’shikov, L.I., et al.: Resonant formation of ddμ muonic molecules. Zh. Eksp. Teor. Fiz. 92, 1173 (1987) [Sov. Phys. JETP 65, 656 (1987)]Google Scholar
- 7.Faifman, M.P.: Nonresonant formation of hydrogen isotope mesic molecules. Muon Catal. Fusion 4, 341 (1989)Google Scholar
- 9.Faifman, M.P., Men’shikov, L.I.: Study of cascade processes in pμ − and pK − atoms based on a new approach. In: Proc. of Int. Conf. MCF-07 on Muon Catalyzed Fusion and Related Topics, Dubna, p. 233, 18–21 June 2007Google Scholar