VGI as a Compilation Tool for Navigation Map Databases
Volunteered geographic information, a crowdsourced approach to gathering geographic information, is being used in numerous map database compilation systems. Active and passive contribution systems exist, but it is the active systems, through which contributors can provide their personal local knowledge, that hold the greatest promise for improving the quality of spatial databases used for navigation and location-based services. Both open and hybrid map compilation systems have been developed in an attempt to benefit from VGI. We discuss the nature, limitations, and advantages of a range of crowdsourced compilation systems in an attempt to evaluate the influence of VGI in helping to improve various aspects of data quality.
KeywordsLocal Knowledge Spatial Database Commercial Firm Community Input Participatory Culture
- Budhathoki, N., Haklay, M., & Nedovic-Budic, Z. (2010). Who map in OpenStreetMap and why? Presentation at State of the Map, Open Street Map. http://www.slideshare.net/nbudhat2/sotm-us-2010-nama-r-budhathoki. Accessed 23 Oct 2011.
- Coleman, D. (2012). Potential contributions and challenges of VGI for conventional topographic base-mapping programs. In D. Sui, S. Elwood, & M. Goodchild (Eds.), Volunteered geographic information: New development and applications. Berlin: Springer.Google Scholar
- Dobson, M. (2007). TomTom, Tele Atlas and map updating, the road to UGC (Exploring Local Blog. TeleMapics LLC). http://blog.telemapics.com/?p=40. Accessed 25 Oct 2011.
- Dobson, M. (2009). Field checking the Google base (Exploring Local Blog. TeleMapics LLC). http://blog.telemapics.com/?p=211. Accessed 25 Oct 2011.
- Dobson, M. (2010a). TomTom, Tele Atlas and map share. Exploring Local Blog. TeleMapics LLC. http://blog.telemapics.com/?p=323. Accessed 27 Oct 2011.
- Dobson, M. (2010b). MapQuest on Botox, Tele Atlas on Detox. Exploring Local Blog. TeleMapics LLC. http://blog.telemapics.com/?p=334#comments. Accessed 28 Oct 2011.
- Dobson, M. (2010c). Map accuracy, Google, NAVTEQ and free. Exploring Local Blog. TeleMapics LLC. http://blog.telemapics.com/?p=241. Accessed 23 Oct 2011.
- Dobson, M. (2010d). Nokia news and NAVTEQ does it again. Exploring Local Blog. TeleMapics LLC. http://blog.telemapics.com/?p=279. Accessed 26 Oct 2011.
- Dobson, M. (2010e). Google plays whack-a-mole. Exploring Local Blog. TeleMapics LLC. http://blog.telemapics.com/?p=282. Accessed 28 Oct 2011.
- Dobson, M. (2011a). Google map maker’s edit and authority system part 1. Exploring Local Blog. TeleMapics LLC. http://blog.telemapics.com/?p=371. Accessed 28 Oct 2011.
- Dobson, M. (2011b). Google map maker’s review and authority system part 2. Exploring Local Blog. TeleMapics LLC. http://blog.telemapics.com/?p=374. Accessed 24 Oct 2011.
- Dobson, M. (2011c). Google map maker goes crowdsourced in the United States on “Judgment Day”. Exploring Local Blog. TeleMapics LLC. http://blog.telemapics.com/?p=368. Accessed 25 Oct 2011.
- Guélat, J. (2009, August). Integration of user generated content into national databases – Revision workflow at swisstopo. 1st EuroSDR Workshop on Crowdsourcing, Federal Office of Topography, Wabern, Switzerland. http://www.eurosdr.net/workshops/crowdsourcing_2009/presentations/c-4.pdf. Accessed 20 Oct 2011.
- Haklay, M. (2008). Understanding the quality of user generated mapping. Department of Civil, Environmental and Geomatic Engineering, University College London. PowerPoint Presentation. http://www.slideshare.net/mukih/osm-quality-assessment-2008-presentation?from=ss_embed. Accessed 15 Sept 2011.
- Harvey, F. (2012). To volunteer or to contribute locational information: Truth-in-labeling for crowd-sourced geographic information. In D. Sui, S. Elwood, & M. Goodchild (Eds.), Volunteered geographic information: New development and applications. Dordrecht: Springer.Google Scholar
- ISO (International Organization of Standardization), Technical Committee 211. (2002). ISO 19113, Geographic information – Quality principles. Geneva: ISO. http://www.isotc211.org/. Accessed 15 Oct 2011.
- ISO (International Organization for Standardization). (2004). ISO 14825, Intelligent transport systems – Geographic data files (GDF) – Overall data specification. Geneva: International Organization of Standardization.Google Scholar
- Jenkins, H., Purushotma, R., Weigel, M., Clinton, K., & Robison, A. (2009). Confronting the challenges of participatory culture: Media education for the 21st century. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press (Resource document).Google Scholar
- NAVTEQ Corporation. (2008). Form 10-K annual report filed with the securities and exchange commission of the United States, Washington D.C. Financial Disclosure. NAVTEQ. http://www.sec.gov/Archives/edgar/data/834208/000110465908014358/a08-2455_110k.htm. Accessed 24 Sept 2011.Google Scholar
- Shirky, C. (2008). Here comes everybody. New York: Penguin Press HC.Google Scholar
- Stage, D. (2009, February). Authority and authoritative data: A clarification of terms and concepts. Fair & Equitable, 13–16. http://www.iaao.org/uploads/Stage.pdf. Accessed 20 Sept 2011.
- Surowiecki, J. (2005). The wisdom of crowds: Why the many are smarter than the few and how collective wisdom shapes business, economies, societies and nations. New York: Anchor Books Edition.Google Scholar
- Tapscott, D., & Williams, A. (2008). Wikinomics: How mass collaboration changes everything. London: Penguin.Google Scholar
- TomTom. (2011). TomTom makes the largest historic, traffic database in the world available for governments and enterprises via its online web portal. Press Release. TomTom B.V. http://corporate.tomtom.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=545204. Accessed 23 Jan 2012.
- Van Exel, M., Dias, E., & Fruijtierm, S. (2010). The impact of crowdsourcing on spatial data quality indicators. http://www.giscience2010.org/pdfs/paper_213.pdf. Accessed 14 Oct 2011.
- Van Oort, P. (2005). Spatial data quality: From description to application. PhD thesis. Geodesy 60, NGC (Netherlands Commission for Geodesy) Delft, the Netherlands. http://www.ncg.knaw.nl/Publicaties/Geodesy/pdf/60Oort.pdf. Accessed 27 Oct 2011.
- Zielstra, D., & Zipf, A. (2010, May). A comparative study of proprietary geodata and volunteered geographic information for Germany. 13th AGILE International Conference on Geographic Information Science, Guimarães, Portugal. http://agile2010.dsi.uminho.pt/pen/ShortPapers_PDF%5C142_DOC.pdf. Accessed 10 Oct 2011.