Recent Developments and Applications of Pavement Analysis Using Nonlinear Damage (PANDA) Model
This paper presents an overview of the development and applications of the PANDA (Pavement Analysis using Nonlinear Damage Approach) model that has been under development at Texas A&M University for the past few years. In addition to the basics of the constitutive relationships used in PANDA, this paper presents examples of calibration and validation of the model using experimental laboratory data. The results demonstrate clearly the ability of the model to describe the mechanical behaviour of asphalt mixtures in terms of resistance to damage and permanent deformation. Finally, the capabilities of the model to simulate the mesoscale response of asphalt mixtures are presented and their implications in the design of asphalt mixtures are discussed.
KeywordsAsphalt Mixture Continuum Damage Mechanic Creep Response Viscoplastic Strain Viscoelastic Strain
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 3.Darabi, M.K., Abu Al-Rub, R.K., Masad, E.A., Little, D.: Int. J. Num. and Anal. Methods in Geomechanics (2011) (in press)Google Scholar
- 6.Abu Al-Rub, R.K., Darabi, M.K., You, T., Masad, E.A., Little, D.N.: Int. J. of Roads and Airports 1, 68–84 (2011)Google Scholar
- 7.Kachanov, L.M.: On time to rupture in creep conditions. Izviestia Akademii Nauk SSSR, Otdelenie Tekhnicheskikh Nauk 8, 26–31 (1958) (in Russian)Google Scholar
- 8.Yu Rabotnov, N.: North-Holland, Amsterdam (1969)Google Scholar
- 9.Odqvist, F.K.G., Hult, J.: Some aspects of creep rupture. Arkiv foK r Fysik 19, 379–382 (1961)Google Scholar
- 15.Graham, M.: Damaged Viscoelastic-Viscoplastic Model for Asphalt Concrete. M.S. Thesis, Texas A&M University, College Station, Texas (2009)Google Scholar
- 16.Grenfell, J., Collop, A., Airey, G., Taherkhani, H., Scarpas, A.T.: J. Asso. Asph. Pav. Tech. 77, 49–516 (2008)Google Scholar
- 17.Kim, Y.R., Guddati, M.N., Underwood, B.S., Yun, T.Y., Subramanian, S., Savadatti, S.: Report No. FHWA-HRT-08-073, U.S. Federal Highway Administration (2009)Google Scholar