Characterization of Asphalt Mixture’s Fracture Resistance Using the Semi-Circular Bending (SCB) Test
Pavement cracking is a major distress mode in asphalt pavements. The fracture resistance is an important factor that relates to pavement cracking. This paper describes the evaluation of the fracture resistance of asphalt mixtures using the semi-circular bending (SCB) test. The mechanism of the SCB test is based on the elastic-plastic fracture mechanics concept that leads to the laboratory determination of the critical strain energy release rate, also called the critical value of J-integral (Jc). Asphalt mixtures from nine rehabilitation field projects throughout the state of Louisiana were evaluated in this study. The critical strain energy release rate of plant produced-laboratory compacted (PL) asphalt mixtures was evaluated using a three-point SCB test. In addition, field cracking measurements for those projects that have been trafficked for approximately ten years were performed. Four types of asphalt binders and two nominal maximum aggregate sizes were included in those mixtures. Analysis of the results indicated that there is a good correlation between the critical values of J-integral (Jc) and the field cracking rate. The Jc value increased as the cracking rate decreased. Results of this studysupport to use the semi-circular bend test to evaluate the fracture resistance of asphalt mixtures.
KeywordsFracture Resistance Asphalt Mixture Asphalt Binder Asphalt Pavement Notch Depth
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 2.Tsai, B.-W., Harvey, J.T., Monismith, C.L.: J. Assoc. Asph. Pav. Technol. 73, 623 (2004)Google Scholar
- 4.Zhang, Z., Roque, R., Birgisson, B., Sangpetngam, B.: J. Assoc. Asph. Pav. Technol. 70, 206 (2001)Google Scholar
- 6.Mohammad, L.N., Wu, Z., Aglan, M.: In: Fifth International RILEM Conference on Reflective Cracking in Pavements, Limoges, France, p. 375 (2004)Google Scholar
- 8.Molenaar, A.A.A., Scarpas, A., Liu, X., Erkens, S.M.J.G.: J. Assoc. Asph. Pav. Technol. 71, 794 (2002)Google Scholar
- 9.Mohammad, L.N., Kabir, M.D., Saadeh, S.: In: Proceedings ofthe 6th RILEM International Conference on Cracking in Pavements, Chicago, IL, USA, p. 427 (2008)Google Scholar
- 10.Mull, A.M., Othman, A., Mohammad, L.: In: Proceedings CD-Rom of TRB 85th Annual Meeting, Washington, DC, USA (2006)Google Scholar
- 14.Louisiana Standard Specifications for Roads and Bridges, State of Louisiana Department of Transportation and Development (2000)Google Scholar