Multipath-Based Reliable Routing Protocol with Fast-Recovery of Failures on MANETs
This paper proposes a new multipath reliable routing protocol which has the fast-recovery capability of link failures on MANETs. The proposed protocol finds a reliable multipath considering the end-to-end packet reception probability of routes using Expected Transmission Count (ETX) link quality estimator. After setting a primary path which is the most reliable between the source and destination, the secondary paths are established to be used for recovering link failures. When a link failure happens, the proposed protocol recovers the failure quickly using the secondary paths without re-establishing paths at the source. The performance of the proposed protocol has been evaluated using QualNet simulator and compared with NMDR, MAODV-SIM, and HLAR. The simulation results show that our protocol is better in terms of end-to-end packet reception rate, end-to-end delay, and path recovery time.
KeywordsMANETs Reliable routing protocol Multipath-based routing Fast recovery of failures
This research was supported by Basic Science Research Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) funded by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (2010-0024245).
- 1.Johnson, D.B., Maltz, D.A.: Dynamic source routing in ad hoc wireless networks. In: Imielinski, T., Korth, H. (eds.) The Mobile Computing, pp. 153–181. Kluwer Academic, Norwell (1996)Google Scholar
- 2.Perkins, C.E., Belding-Royer, E.M., Das, S.E.: Ad hoc on-demand distance vector (AODV) routing. Internet experimental RFC 3561 (July 2003)Google Scholar
- 3.Tsirigos, A., Haas, Z.J.: Multipath routing in the presence of frequent topological changes. IEEE Commun. Mag. 11, 132–138 (Nov 2001)Google Scholar
- 4.Li, X., Cuthbert, L.: Stable node-disjoint multipath routing with low overhead in mobile ad hoc network. IEEE MASCOTS’09, pp. 184–191 (Oct 2009)Google Scholar
- 5.Marina1, M.K., Das, S.R.: Ad hoc on-demand multipath distance vector routing. Wirel. Commun. Mobile Comput. 6, 969–988 (2006)Google Scholar
- 6.Mainaud, B., Zekri, M., Afifi, H.: Improving routing reliability on wireless sensors network with emergency paths. IEEE ICDCS’08, pp. 545–550 (June 2008)Google Scholar
- 7.Pham, P., Perreau, S.: Performance analysis of reactive shortest path and multipathrouting mechanism with load balance. In: Proceedings of the IEEE INFOCOM, pp. 251–259 (April 2003)Google Scholar
- 8.Rabayah, A.M., Malaney, R.: A new hybrid location-based ad hoc routing protocol. IEEE Globecom, pp. 1–6 (Dec 2010)Google Scholar
- 9.Baccour, N., Koubaa, A., Jamaa, M.B., Youssef, H., Zuniga, M., Alves, M.: A comparative simulation study of link quality estimator in wireless sensor network. In: The IEEE International Symposium on Modeling, Analysis & Simulation of Computer and Telecommunication Systems, (MASCOTS ‘09), pp. 1–10, 21–23 (Sept 2009)Google Scholar
- 10.Qualnet simulator, http://www.scalable-networks.com/content/