A Study on Creative Engineering Design for Convergence Education Using Rube Goldberg Device
This study aims to present design class measures to foster the convergence talents through the students’ creativity improvement and convergent education through consilience in the creative engineering design subject class of the engineering college. To achieve this goal, the survey was carried out based on the students who took the creative engineering design subject, 88 % students wanted to introduce the Rube Goldberg device production project in the design process, and the Rube Goldberg device project which they wanted to carry out was ‘LED lighting.’ Based on the results, the creative engineering design project performance completed and estimated 1 structures for given task, but in this study, STEAM was applied to the existing creative engineering design project as the convergent education action plan so new creative design task and education process using Rube Goldberg device project as the combination of the mechanical mechanism was suggested.
KeywordsRube-Goldberg Creative engineering Design Creativity STEAM
This research was supported by Basic Science Research Program through the National Research Foundation of Korea (NRF) funded by the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology (2011-0014394).
- 1.Korea Ministry of Education & Science Technology Business reports (2011)Google Scholar
- 2.Korea Ministry of Education & Science Technology Business reports (2012)Google Scholar
- 3.Baillie, C.: Enhancing creativity in engineering students. Eng. Sci. Educ. J. 11(5), 185–192 (2002)Google Scholar
- 4.Ko, Seuk-joon: A comparative study for the improvement of introductory engineering design courses. Educational Electronic engineering Graduate School of Education Kook Min University, Seoul (2007)Google Scholar
- 5.Kang, A. N.: Development of instruction models for creative engineering design of the basis of multi-disciplinary convergence. Korean Navig. 15(6), 1118–1125 (2011)Google Scholar
- 6.Kang, Hyeon-Suk, Kim, Chang-Ho, Lee, Jae-Soon.: The principles and orientations of curriculum design for developing creativity. Second. Inst. Educ. 51(2), 1–39 (2003) (12)Google Scholar