Craniopharyngioma: The Role of Radiation
Although surgical resection is considered to be the primary first treatment when a patient presents with a craniopharyngioma, only 35% of such tumors present in locations that permit the possibility of complete resection. Radiotherapy was been used in the treatment of craniopharyngiomas for over 50 years. Although old techniques used opposed lateral portals directed to the sella turcica, modern radiotherapeutic techniques via the use of ct-based treatment planning and MRI fusion have permitted tighter treatment volumes which allow for better tumor control while limiting complications. Intracavitary radiotherapy with radio-isotopes and stereotactic radiosurgery may have a role in the treatment of recurrent cystic and solid recurrences respectively.
KeywordsDiabetes Insipidus Stereotactic Radiosurgery Cystic Component Sella Turcica Margin Dose
- Julow J, Backlund E, Lanyi F, Hajda M, Balint K, Nyary I, Szeifert G (2007) Long-term results and late complications after intracavitary yttrium-90 colloid irradiation of recurrent cystic craniopharyngiomas. Neurosurg 61:288–295Google Scholar
- Merchant T, Kiehna E, Kun L, Mulhern R, Li C, Xiong X, Boop F, Sanford R (2006) Phase II trial of conformal radiation therapy for pediatric patients with craniopharyngioma and correlation of surgical factors and radiation dosimetry with change in cognitive function. J Neurosurg 104:92–104Google Scholar
- Minniti G, Saran F, Traish D, Soomal R, Sardell S, Gonsalves A, Ashley S, Warrington J, Burke K, Mosleh-Shirazi A, Brada M (2007) Fractionated stereotactic conformal radiotherapy following conservative surgery in the control of craniopharyngiomas. Radiother Oncol 82:90–95PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Shaw E, Arusell R, Scheithauer B, O’Fallon J, O’Neill B, Dinapoli R, Nelson D, Earle J, Jones C, Cascino T, Nichols D, Ivnik R, Hellman R, Curran W, Abrams R (2002) Prospective randomized trial of low- versus high-dose radiation therapy in adults with supratentorial low-grade glioma: initial report of a North Central Cancer Treatment Group/Radiation Therapy Oncology Group/Eastern Cooperative Oncology Group study. J Clin Oncol 20:2267–2275PubMedCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Tarbell N, Scott R, Goumnerova L (1996) Craniopharyngioma: preliminary results of stereotactic radiation therapy. In: Kondziolka D (ed) Radiosurgery, vol 1. Karger, Basel, pp 75–82Google Scholar