Thoughts on School Leadership Policy, Practice, and Future Inquiry
- 1.1k Downloads
It has been fascinating to consider standards, accountability, assessment, and leadership in education through the lenses of a broad and diverse selection of countries. It is not our intention to summarize each standards-based reform model that was previously discussed. Rather the ensuing discussion merely highlights some of the notable trends and provides the reader with a sense of the many faces of standards-based reform, accountability, and student assessment, and draws out some implications for learning for school leaders. This chapter concludes with suggestions for future inquiry.
KeywordsStudent Achievement Transformational Leadership Professional Learning School Leader Transactional Leadership
- Assessment Reform Group. (2002). Assessment is for learning: 10 principles. Retrieved from http://www.assessment-reform-group.org. Accessed 1 March 2010.
- Black, P., & Wiliam, D. (1998). Inside the black box: Raising standards through classroom assessment. Phi Delta Kappan, 80(2), 139–148.Google Scholar
- Crooks, T. J. (1988). The impact of classroom evaluation practices on students. Review of Educational Research, 58, 438–481.Google Scholar
- Darling-Hammond, D. (1994). Performance-based assessment and educational equity. Harvard Educational Review, 64(1), 5–31.Google Scholar
- Earl, L., & Hannay, L. (2011). Educators as knowledge leaders. In J. Robertson & H. Timperley (Eds.), Leadership and Learning. London: Sage.Google Scholar
- Earl, L., & Katz, S. (2006). Rethinking classroom assessment with purpose in mind. Western and Northern Collaboration. Retrieved from www.wncp.ca/assessment. Accessed 1 March 2010.Google Scholar
- Earl, L., Volante, L., & Katz, S. (2011). Unleashing the promise of assessment for learning. Education Canada, 51(3), 17–20.Google Scholar
- Popham, J. (2009). A process—not a test. Education Leadership, 66(7), 85–86.Google Scholar
- Speck, M., & Knipe, C. (2005). Why can’t we get it right? Designing high-quality professional development for standards-based schools (2nd ed.). Thousand Oaks: Corwin Press.Google Scholar
- Volante, L., & Cherubini, L. (2011). The challenges school administrators face in building assessment literacy. Assessment Matters, 3, 161–182.Google Scholar