The Art of Facilitation
This chapter discusses the use of facilitation by mediators and others who assist groups with their work. The chapter begins with definitions of facilitation and an explanation of why mediators might use the term facilitation rather than mediation. Facilitators’ levels of expertise are identified and discussed. Special attention is paid to the facilitation of meetings in the United States.
KeywordsAmerican Cancer Society Public Hearing Action Item Conflict Zone Practice Facilitator
- Amnesty International. (2011). Facilitation manual: A guide to using participatory methodologies for human rights education. London: Amnesty International.Google Scholar
- Asuni, J. B. (2012). Nigeria: Dialogue in the delta. In D. R. Smock & D. Serwer (Eds.), Facilitating dialogue: USIP’s work in conflict zones (pp. 113–126). Washington, DC: United States Institute of Peace Press.Google Scholar
- Bens, I. (2000). Facilitating with ease! A step-by-step guidebook with customizable worksheets on CD/Rom. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Bens, I. (2006). Facilitating to lead! Leadership strategies for a networked world. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Doyle, M., & Straus, D. (1976). How to make meetings work. New York: Jove Books.Google Scholar
- Dukes, E. F., & Firehock, K. (2001). Collaboration: A guide for environmental advocates. Charlottesville: Institute for Environmental Negotiation.Google Scholar
- Frediani, J. A. (2009). Sharing the floor: Some strategies for effective group facilitation. Unitarian Universalist, Association of Congregations. Retrieved from www.uua.org/re/adults/151805. Accessed 15 Jan 2013.
- Hampson, F. O., & Zartman, I. W. (2012). The global power of talk: Negotiating America’s interests. Boulder/London: Paradigm Publishers.Google Scholar
- Hartwig, R. T. (2010). Facilitating problem solving: A case study using the devil’s advocacy technique. Group Facilitation: A Research and Applications Journal, 10, 17–31.Google Scholar
- Haskell, J. E., & Cyr, L. F. (2011). Community facilitator education: How training can lead to positive impacts at the community level. Group Facilitation: A Research and Applications Journal, 11, 5–14.Google Scholar
- Hogan, C. (2002). Understanding facilitation: Theory and principles. London: Kogan Page.Google Scholar
- Holborn, S. (2002). The value of measuring person-centered planning. In J. O’Brien & C. O’Brien (Eds.), Implementing person-centered planning: Voice of experience (pp. 79–97). Toronto: Inclusion Press.Google Scholar
- Jenkins, J. (2004). Facilitation, training, consultation or do it yourself? Handout for ADR institute meeting 5 November 2004. Retrieved from masterplan.co.za/resources/documents/facilitationis.pdf. Accessed 15 Jan 2013.
- Liteman, M., Campbell, S., & Liteman, J. (2006). Retreats that work: Everything you need to know about planning and leading great offsites (Expandedth ed.). San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.Google Scholar
- Nagykaldi, Z., Mold, J. W., & Aspy, C. B. (2005). Practice facilitators: A review of the literature. Family Medicine, 37(8), 581–588.Google Scholar
- Rees, F. (2005). The facilitator excellence handbook (2nd ed.). San Francisco: Pfeiffer.Google Scholar
- Robert, H. M. (2011). Robert’s rules of order. Newly revised. Philadelphia: Da Capo Press.Google Scholar
- Ross, B. (2012). Telephone interview. November 27.Google Scholar
- Sefton, E. (2009). Resource Management Act Amendment 2009 Guidance. New Zealand. October.Google Scholar
- Shaw, E., Looney, A., Chase, S., Navalekar, R., Stello, B., Lontok, O., & Crabtree, B. (2010). ‘In the moment’: An analysis of facilitator impact during a quality improvement process. Group Facilitation: A Research and Applications Journal, 10, 4–16.Google Scholar
- Smock, D. R., & Serwer, D. (Eds.). (2012). Facilitating dialogue: USIP’s work in conflict zones. Washington, DC: United States Institute of Peace Press.Google Scholar
- SwissPeace. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.swisspeace.ch. Accessed 16 Oct 2012.
- The State of Queensland, Department of Justice and Attorney-General (2010–2012). (n.d.). Dispute resolution: Facilitation. Brisbane: The State of Queensland. Retrieved from http://www.justice.qld.gov.au/justice-services/dispute-resolution/facilitation. Accessed 16 Oct 2012.
- Thorpe, S. (2011). Editorial introduction. Group Facilitation: A Research and Applications Journal, 11, 3–4.Google Scholar
- U.S. Institute for Environmental Conflict Resolution. (n.d.). Retrieved from http://www.ecr.gov/HowWeWork/Services.aspx. Accessed 16 Oct 2012.
- Wilkinson, M. (n.d.). Guerilla facilitation: What to do if the meeting leader is not leading. Retrieved from www.inifac.org/articles/arGuerillaFacilitation.pdf. Accessed 18 Oct 2012.