This chapter is a short introduction to the State-of-the-Art Report on the application of Superabsorbent Polymers (SAP) in concrete construction. It describes the general role of chemical additives in concrete technology, outlines the possible functions of SAP in cement-based materials and defines the prospective main areas of this new additive’s use. Additionally, the concept and structure of the book are briefly explained.
KeywordsHardened State Interface Transition Zone Autogenous Shrinkage Internal Cure Hardened Concrete
- Mechtcherine V, Dudziak L, Schulze J, Stähr H (2006) Internal curing by Superabsorbent Polymers – Effects on material properties of self-compacting fibre-reinforced high performance concrete. In: Jensen OM, Lura P, Kovler K (eds) Proceedings of international RILEM conference on Volume Changes of Hardening Concrete: Testing and Mitigation, 20-23 August 2006 (Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby, Denmark), pp 87–96CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Jensen OM (2008) Use of superabsorbent polymers in construction materials. In: Sun Wei et al. (eds) Proceedings of the 1st international conference on Microstructure Related Durability of Cementitious Composites, 13-15 October 2008 (Nanjing, China), pp 757–764Google Scholar
- Reinhardt H-W, Assmann A, Moennig S (2008) Superabsorbent polymers (SAP) – an admixture to increase the durability of concrete. In: Sun W et al. (eds) Proceedings of the 1st international conference on Microstructure Related Durability of Cementitious Composites, 13-15 October 2008 (Nanjing, China), pp 313–322Google Scholar
- Bruedern A-E, Mechtcherine V (2010) Multifunctional use of SAP in Strain-hardening Cement-based Composites. In: Jensen OM, Hasholt MT, Laustsen S (eds) Proceedings of international RILEM conference on Use of Superabsorbent Polymers and Other New Additives in Concrete, 15-18 August 2010 (Technical University of Denmark, Lyngby, Denmark), pp 11–22Google Scholar
- RILEM Report 41 (2007) State of the Art Report of RILEM Technical Committee Internal Curing of Concrete. Kovler K, Jensen OM (eds), RILEM Publications S.A.R.L., Bagneux, France, 141 pp.Google Scholar