Linkage Solutions for the Manufacture of Complex, Thermoplastic Lightweight Structures
The manufacturing of novel, high-performance fibre composite components based on hybrid yarns necessitates the development of new process solutions. In the particular case of manufacturing open core sandwich panels, tools are required which facilitate automated manufacturing. Such automation can be achieved using specially adapted wedge kinematics, which in turn require handling systems that ensure a correct position of these tools. One mainpart of such handling system is a comb system, which is successfully approved by the manufacturing of planar sandwich panels. Single-bend sandwich panels requires the development of new solutions, which facilitate the oriantation of the consolidation tools with a minimum of drive effort. Thereby the focus is on the design of a comb system based an a scissor mechanism.
KeywordsComposite sandwich panel Consolidation process Handling systems Scissor mechanisms
The authors would like to express their gratitude towards the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft (DFG), which supports this research within the scope of the subproject D4 of the Collaborative Research Centre SFB 639 “Textile-Reinforced Composite Components in Function-Integrating Multi-Material Design for Complex Lightweight Applications”.
- Golzar, M.; Brünig, H.; Mäder, E.: Commingled Hybrid Yarn Diameter Ratio in Continuous Fiber-reinforced Thermoplastic Composites. Journal of Thermoplastic Composite Materials. Composites Science and Technology. 2006, 66(1) S.19-35Google Scholar
- Herzberg, C.; Zhao, N.; Rödel, H.: Beanspruchungsgerechte Abstandstrukturen für komplexe Leichtbauanwendungen durch funktionsgerechte Nähtechnik. Verbundwerkstoffe. Deutsche Gesellschaft fÃ¼r Materialkunde e. V. Wiley-VCh GmbH Co. KG aA Verlag, Weinheim 2009, S. 440-446Google Scholar
- Hufenbach, W.; Adam, F.; Beyer, J.; Zichner, M.; Lin, S.; Hanke, U.: Development of an adapted process technology for complex lightweight structures based on hybrid yarns. 17th International Conference on Composite Materials (ICCM-17), Edinburgh, 27th-31th July 2009Google Scholar
- Langbecker, T.: Kinematic Analysis of Deployable Scissor Structures, International Journal of Space Structures, Vol. 14, No. 1, 1999Google Scholar
- Hanke, U.; Lin, S.; Modler, K.-H.: Synthesis of folding mechanisms for the consolidation of thermoplastic composites in spacer form; EuCoMeS-1st European Conference on Mechanism Science; Obergurgl- Austria; February 21-26, 2006Google Scholar