Metallic Films with Fullerene-Like WS2 (MoS2) Nanoparticles: Self-Lubricating Coatings with Potential Applications
Metallic films impregnated with fullerene-like-WS2 (MoS2) nanoparticles were fabricated on stainless steel and Ti-Ni substrates using galvanic and electroless deposition. The coatings were obtained from aqueous suspensions containing the metallic salts as well as the dispersed nanoparticles. Tribological tests showed that the films have low friction and wear. Such coatings could be useful for numerous civilian and defense-related applications.
KeywordsFullerene-like nanoparticles Inorganic nanotubes Coatings Tribology
We are grateful to Dr. Rosentsveig for the synthesis of the IF-WS2 nanoparticles and to Prof. L. Rapoport, to Dr. S.R. Cohen for the nanoindentation measurements and Dr. A. Moshkovith for the tribological tests. Prof. Tenne is the Drake family chair of Nanotechnology and director of the Helen and Martin Kimmel Center for Nanoscale Science.
- 1.Low CTJ, Wills RGA, Walsh FC (2006) Electrodeposition of composite coatings containing nanoparticles in a metal deposit. Surf Coat Technol 201:371–383; Bicelli LP, Bozzini B, Mele C, D’Urzo L (2008) A review of nanostructural aspects of metal electrodeposition. Int J Electrochem Sci 3:356–408Google Scholar
- 7.Capel H, Shipway PH, Harris SJ (2003) Sliding wear behavior of electrodeposited cobalt–tungsten and cobalt–tungsten–iron alloys. Wear 255:917–923; Weston DP, Shipway PH, Harris SJ, Cheng MK (2009) Friction and sliding wear behavior of electrodeposited cobalt and cobalt-tungsten alloy coatings for replacement of electrodeposited chromium. Wear 267:934–943Google Scholar
- 10.Brooman EW (2004) Wear behavior of environmentally acceptable alternatives to chromium coatings- nickel-based candidates. Met Finish 102:75–82; Brooman EW (2004) Wear behavior of environmentally acceptable alternatives to chromium coatings: cobalt-based and other coatings. Met Finish 102:42Google Scholar
- 12.Redlich M, Gorodnev A, Feldmean Y, Kaplan-Ashiri I, Tenne R, Fleischer N, Genut M, Feuerstein N (2008) Friction reduction and wear resistance of electro-codeposited Ni + IF-WS2 coating for improved orthodontic stainless steel wires. J Mater Res 23:2909–2915; Redlich M, Katz A, Rapoport L, Wagner HD, Feldman Y, Tenne R (2008) Improved orthodontic stainless steel wires coated with inorganic fullerene-like nanoparticles of WS2 impregnated in electroless nickel–phosphorous film. Dent Mater 24:1640–1646Google Scholar
- 13.Svahn F, Csillag S (2011) Formation of low-friction particle/polymer composite tribofilms by tribopolymerization. Tribol Lett 41:387–393Google Scholar