How Effective Could ‘Landscape Management’ Tool Address Mitigation of Cultural and Natural Threats on Coastal Wetlands System?
This paper identifies landscape management as a tool for mitigating natural and cultural challenges of climate change, human and environmental security in the context of Gediz Delta (Management Plan) while scrutinizing the management plan for the ecological and socio-economic sustainability of the delta. Thus landscape management acts as a mechanism for strengthening the efficacy of the plan in the years ahead.
To this end, implementation of the management plan should accommodate thoroughly landscape management in legal, administrative and technical frameworks for the benefits of a self-sustainable coastal wetlands’ system across the delta.
KeywordsLandscape management Coastal wetlands system Wetland management plan Gediz Delta Adaptive management Climate change Conservation planning
- 1.Bobylev N (2009) Multiple criteria decision making and environmental security. In: Illangasekare TH, Mahutova K, Barich JJ (eds) Proceedings of the NATO advanced research workshop on decision support for natural disasters and intentional threats to water security, 22–25 Apr 2007, Springer/Kluwer, Dubrovnik, pp 213–228Google Scholar
- 3.Hultman NE, Bozmoski AS (2006) The changing face of normal disaster: risk, resilience and natural security in a changing climate. J Int Aff 59(2):25–41Google Scholar
- 4.Kaplan A, Hepcan Ş (2009) An examination of ecological risk assessment at landscape scale and the management plan. In: Illangasekare TH, Mahutova K, Barich JJ (eds) Proceedings of the NATO advanced research workshop on decision support for natural disasters and intentional threats to water security, 22–25 Apr 2007, Springer/Kluwer, Dubrovnik, pp 239–250Google Scholar
- 5.Kaplan A, Hepcan Ş, Kurucu Y, Bolca M, Esitlili T, Tırıl A, Akgün A (2009) Ecological risk analysis of Gediz Delta based on remote sensing and geographic information system. Ege University Scientific Study Project Report, Project no. 2005-zrf-014, İzmirGoogle Scholar
- 9.Ministry of Environment and Forestry (2007) The management plan for Gediz Delta. Turkish Republic of Ministry of Environment and Forestry, General Directorate of Nature Protection and National Parks, AnkaraGoogle Scholar
- 10.Nath B, Hens L, Compton PA (eds) (1999) Instruments for environmental management. Routledge, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 11.Sönmez İÖ, Onmuş O (2006) Gediz Deltası Yönetim Planı Sosyo-Ekonomik Analiz Raporu (Report on Socio-economic Analysis of Gediz Delta Management Plan). İzmir Kuş Cenneti Koruma ve Geliştirme Birliği ve Ege Doğa Derneği, Yayınlanmamış Rapor, İzmirGoogle Scholar
- 12.Yücel M (2009) Korunan alanlar ve yönetimi (Protected areas and their management). In: Akay A, Özen MD (eds) Peyzaj Yönetimi (Landscape management). Türkiye ve Orta Doğu Enstitüsü, Ankara, pp 81–102Google Scholar