An Epidemiological and Analysis of Sleep Problems of Children Aged 0–7 in Fengrun District, Tangshan
To understand the status, the related factors of sleep problems of children aged 0–7, and the influence on their health, 831 children aged 0–7 years old were sampled from Fengrun district of Tangshan. Questionnaires responded by the parents showed that the children sleep for 11.22 ± 1.69 h in daytime and 9.03 ± 1.19 h at night. A total of 22.3% of the children reported to have sleep problems in which 23.1% were girls and 21.3% were boys. The three most frequent sleep problems were night sweating (8.7%), early waking (4.3%), and snoring (3.8%). The risky factors that initiated sleep problems includes mothers’ anxiety, sleep disorder of fathers, children’s catching cold, snore of fathers, and the difficult temperament of children. The survey showed that there was certain sleep problems among children aged 0–7 years in Fengrun of Tangshan. The possible negative influence on the growth and development of children deserves more attention from both the parents and those who work in medical industry.
KeywordsChildren Sleep problems Epidemiology Survey
- 3.Qian W, Wei Y (2004) An epidemiological study on sleep problems in children aged 2 to 12 years old in Gangzhou. J Appl Clin Pediatr 19(12):1078–1080Google Scholar
- 4.Mindell JA, Owens JA, Carskadon MA (1999) Developmental features of sleep. Child Dolesc Psychiatr Clin N Am 8(4):695–725Google Scholar
- 5.Fan J, Chonghuai Y, Shenghu W et al (2003) An epidemiological study on sleep problems in children aged 1 to 23 months in Shanghai. Chin J Prev Med 37(6):435–438 NovemberGoogle Scholar
- 7.Shaoping Y, Anna P, Bin Z et al (2007) Analysis on sleep characteristics and its risk factors of preschool children in Wuhan city. Chin J Public Health 23(2):164–165Google Scholar
- 8.Liu Y, Liu H, Yang H et al (2007) Survey on 1007 dyssomnia cases of preschool children. Med Soc 20(3):39–41Google Scholar