Evaluation and Impact of Qualification of Experimental Facilities in Europe
The paper addresses the need of qualification of large seismic research infrastructures operating in Europe and how this may be achieved. Questions about current limits to the free circulation of the products and services of the European Industry in earthquake engineering are discussed, with emphasis given on the issues – of technical, quality or commercial relevance – which constitute obstacles to the mutual accreditation. Results are reported relating to the general requirements for the qualification, both technical competence and quality assurance, as they are identified by large testing facilities, accreditation bodies, standardization institutions and industry.
KeywordsEarthquake Engineering Quality Management System Research Infrastructure Shake Table Testing Technical Competence
The research leading to these results has received funding from the European Community’s Seventh Framework Programme [FP7/2007-2013] under grant agreement n° 227887 for the SERIES project.
- EC No 765/2008 (2008) REGULATION (EC) No 765/2008 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 9 July 2008 setting out the requirements for accreditation and market surveillance relating to the marketing of products and repealing Regulation (EEC) No 339/93. European Commission, BrusselsGoogle Scholar
- EN ISO 9000 (2000) Quality management systems – fundamentals and vocabulary. European Committee of Standardisation, BrusselsGoogle Scholar
- EN ISO 9001 (2008) Quality management systems – requirements. European Committee of Standardisation, BrusselsGoogle Scholar
- ISO 3534–1 (1993) Statistics – vocabulary and symbols – Part 1: probability and general statistical terms. International Standards Organisation, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- ISO/IEC 17025 (2005) General requirements for the competence of testing and calibration laboratories. International Standards Organisation, GenevaGoogle Scholar
- Kurç Ö, Sucuoğlu H, Molinari M, Zanon G, Ohrid MK (2012) Qualification of large testing facilities in earthquake engineering research. In: Fardis MN, Radikevic Z (eds) Proceedings of SERIES workshop: role of research infrastructures in performance-based earthquake engineering. Springer, DordrechtGoogle Scholar