Low Power RF Power Harvesting Enabling More Active Tag Functionality
This paper presents the analog part of a production integrated circuit (IC) for EPC Gen2 UHF RFID applications in the 900 MHz band. The tag is unique for its on chip 32 kB non-volatile memory (NVM) I2C functionality and its large reading and writing distance. To achieve these goal a power oriented architectural and block level design approach has been followed. The main considerations concerning energy harvesting and RFID communication are presented in this paper and some specific building blocks are more elaborated like a 2.5% accurate clock reference consuming only 0.3 μA and a 6.25 μs TARI ASK demodulator. The chip is currently in production and is going to be used in aviation for airplane parts logging.
KeywordsRandom Number Generator Clock Generator Energy Harvesting Charge Pump Full Wave Rectifier
The authors wish to thank Tim Morlion and Ramses Valvekens of EASICS for their contribution to this chip development.
- 1.M. Roberti, “The history of RFID technology.” [Online]. Available: http://www.rfidjournal.com/article/view/1338
- 2.J.-P. Curty, M. Declerq, C. Dehollain, and N. Joehl, Design and Optimization of Passive UHF RFID Systems. Springer, 2007.Google Scholar
- 3.EPCglobal, “Epc radio-frequency identify protocols class-1 generation-2 UHF RFID protocol for communications at 860-MHz - 960 MHz version 1.2.0.” [Online]. Available: http://www.gs1.org/sites/default/files/docs/uhfc1g2/uhfc1g2_1_2_0-st%andard-20080511.pdf
- 4.U. Karthaus and M. Fischer, “Fully integrated passive UHF RFID transponder IC with 16.7-μw minimum RF input power,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 38, no. 10, pp. 1602–1608, Oct. 2003.Google Scholar
- 5.J. Yin, J. Yi, M. K. Law, Y. Ling, M. C. Lee, K. P. Ng, B. Gao, H. C. Luong, A. Bermak, M. Chan, W.-H. Ki, C.-Y. Tsui, and M. Yuen, “A system-on-chip EPC gen-2 passive UHF RFID tag with embedded temperature sensor,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 45, no. 11, pp. 2404–2420, Nov. 2010.Google Scholar
- 6.H. Nakamoto, D. Yamazaki, T. Yamamoto, H. Kurata, S. Yamada, K. Mukaida, T. Ninomiya, T. Ohkawa, S. Masui, and K. Gotoh, “A passive UHF RF identification CMOS tag IC using ferroelectric RAM in 0.35-μm technology,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 42, no. 1, Jan. 2007.Google Scholar
- 7.B. Hamlin, “Beyond identification - high memory RFID in aviation,” in SAE AeroTech Congress, Nov. 2009.Google Scholar
- 8.C. Swedberg, “Nxp boosts epc gen 2 tag memory, performance.” [Online]. Available: http://www.rfidjournal.com/article/view/3637
- 9.R. E. Barnett, J. Liu, and S. Lazar, “A RF to DC voltage conversion model for multi-stage rectifiers in UHF RFID transponders,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 44, no. 2, Feb. 2009.Google Scholar
- 10.N. D. C. D. M. J. Curty, J. P. Joehl, “Remotely powered addressable UHF RFID integrated system,” IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits, vol. 40, no. 11, Nov. 2005.Google Scholar
- 11.C. Dorio, “Watching the clock,” Jan. 2006. [Online]. Available: http://www.rfidjournal.com/article/view/2040/1
- 12.Nishimura and Matsumoto, “The mersenne twister homepage.” [Online]. Available: http://www.math.sci.hiroshima-u.ac.jp/`m-mat/MT/emt.htmlGoogle Scholar