Psychic Reality. Intentionality Between Truth and Illusion
From a psychoanalytical point of view, “unconscious proper” must be reserved for material that can not gain any access to becoming conscious.
Of all the fundamental concepts which we owe to Freud’s genius, none more clearly marks his discovery than the concept of psychic reality.
The reality of the unconscious contents of mind, the structural “Unconscious”, creates in the mind illusory belief.
It derives from a hallucinatory activity issued from the Id which imposes itself on the Ego as reality. The Ego must believe in reality of unconscious fantasy as he believes in the external world.
The analyst’s understanding results from the associative work that he experiences with the patient. The term “co-thinking” is suggested for linking patient and analyst through this emerging process. ‘— End of Abstract’
KeywordsMaterial Reality Railway Carriage External Reality Associative Network Historical Truth
- Avenburg, R., and M. Guiter. 1976. The concept of truth in psychoanalysis. The International Journal of Psychoanalysis 57: 11–18.Google Scholar
- Britton, R. 1995. Psychic reality and unconscious belief. The International Journal of Psychoanalysis 76: 19–23.Google Scholar
- Freud, S. 1900. The Interpretation of Dreams . S. E. 4–5..Google Scholar
- Freud, S. 1913 [1912–13]. Totem and Taboo . S. E. 13.Google Scholar
- Freud, S. 1909. Notes Upon a Case of Obsessional Neurosis. S. E. 10.Google Scholar
- Freud, S. 1913. On Beginning the Treatment (Further Recommendations on the Technique of Psycho-Analysis I). S. E. 12.Google Scholar
- Freud, S. 1915. The Unconscious. S. E. 14.Google Scholar
- Freud, S. 1916. Introductory Lectures on Psycho-Analysis. S. E. 15.Google Scholar
- Freud, S. 1916–17. A Metapsychological Supplement to the Theory of Dreams. S. E. 14.Google Scholar
- Freud, S. 1919. ‘A Child is Being Beaten’. A Contribution to the Study of the Origin of Sexual Perversions. S.E. 17.Google Scholar
- Freud, S. 1927. The Future of an Illusion . S. E. 21.Google Scholar
- Freud, S. 1933. New Introductory Lectures on Psycho-Analysis . S. E. 22.Google Scholar
- Freud, S. 1939. Moses and Monotheism: Three Essays . S. E. 23.Google Scholar
- Freud, S. 1940. An Outline of Psycho-Analysis. S.E. 23.Google Scholar
- King, P., and R. Steiner (eds.). 1991. The Freud-Klein controversies 1941–1945. London/New York: Routledge.Google Scholar