Improved Min-Sum Decoding Algorithm for Moderate Length Low Density Parity Check Codes
In this chapter, a new technique to improve the min-sum decoding algorithm for the low density parity check (LDPC) code has been proposed. This technique is based on the magnitude overestimation correction of the variable message by using two normalized factors in all iterations. The variable message is modified with a normalized factor when there is a sign change and with another normalized factor when there is no sign change during any two consecutive iterations. In this way, the algorithm gives a more optimum approximation to the min-sum decoding algorithm. This new technique outperforms for medium and short length codes and for small number of iterations, which make it suitable for practical applications and hardware implementation.
KeywordsLDPC codes Sum product algorithm Min-sum Belief propagation Parity check matrix Tanner graph
Supported by Science and Technology on Avionics Integration Laboratory and National Foundation of Aeronautical Science and Research under contract No. 20105552031.
- 1.Gallager RG (1963) Low-density parity-check code. MIT Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- 6.Mackay D (1999) Good error correcting codes on very sparse matrices. IEEE Trans Inf Theory 45(2):399–431Google Scholar
- 13.Chandrasetty VA, Aziz SM (2010) FPGA implementation of high performance LDPC decoder using modified 2-bit min-sum algorithm. Proceedings of the 2nd international conference on computer research and development, Kuala Lumpur, 7–10 May 2010, pp 881–885Google Scholar
- 14.Aziz SM, Pham MD (2010) Implementation of low density parity check decoders using a new high level design methodology. J Comput 5(1):0234–0237Google Scholar
- 15.Hai-yang L, Wen-ze QU, Bin L, Jiang-peng L, Shi-dong L, Jie C (2010) Novel modified min-sum decoding algorithm for low-density parity-check codes, www.sciencedirect.com. J China Univ Posts Telecommun 17:1–5