Climate Change: Costs of Impacts in France Preparation for the National Adaptation Plan
Recorded climate warming in France was about 30% greater than average global warming in the twentieth century. Associated costs are significant, and are being absorbed by a range of areas, including biodiversity, water, health, tourism, agriculture, and transportation. Adaptive planning is critical to mitigating the impacts of climate change and is ongoing in several sectors (Climate Congress (2009) Changement climatique. Available at: http://climatecongress.ku.dk/pdf/synthesisreport/). To prepare for a national adaptation plan a consultation was carried out during 2010 in mainland France and overseas. A national plan is targeted for 2011.
KeywordsClimate Change Heat Wave Climate Change Impact Spontaneous Adaptation Climate Change Impact Analysis
All the ONERC reports (summary and full reports), from which this text has been extracted, are available on the ONERC website: www.onerc.gouv.fr.
- 1.Climate Congress (2009) Changement climatique. Available at: Climate Congress. Copenhagen 2009. Changement climatique. Available at: http://climatecongress.ku.dk/pdf/synthesisreport/
- 2.Stern N (2006) The economics of climate change: the Stern review. Cambridge University Press, CambridgeGoogle Scholar
- 3.Parry M et al (2009) Assessing the cost of adaptation to climate change: a review of the UNFCCC and other recent estimates. IIED and Grantham Institute for Climate Change, LondonGoogle Scholar
- 4.National Observatory for the Impacts of Global Warming -ONERC Climate change: costs of impacts and lines of adaptation. http://www.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/ONERC-Report-to-the-Prime-Minister.html
- 5.National Observatory for the Impacts of Global Warming -ONERC Cities and adapting to climate change http://www.developpement-durable.gouv.fr/ONERC-Report-to-the-Prime-Minister,19649.html