Advanced Global Strategy in China: The Case of Tsinghua
Higher education , as an integral part of China ’s nation building project, is critically important. China identifies building national strength through science and education as a strategic policy, and one way to achieve this goal is to have a higher education system of international stature. China is heavily investing in improving its best universities with the aim of making them world-class in the coming decades. Noting that a good understanding of how the flagship universities in China are reaching for the gold standard will benefit other university systems in the region, and using Tsinghua University as an example, this chapter examines the role of higher education in China ’s rise and how Chinese universities are responding to globalization and internationalization. It presents an analysis of the experience at a Chinese flagship university through an in-depth case study in an international context, helps highlight common problems and accomplishments, and suggests new ways of thinking.
KeywordsTechnology Transfer Academic Freedom Peking Union Medical College National Innovation System SSCI Publication
- Berdahl, R., Graham, J., & Piper, D. R. (1971). State coordination of higher education. Washington: American Council on Education.Google Scholar
- Boyer, E. L. (1990). Scholarship reconsidered: Priorities of the professoriate. Princeton: The Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching.Google Scholar
- Cai, Y.-P. (1986). Cai Yuanpei Quanji (The complete works of Cai Yuanpei). Beijing: Zhonghua Book Company.Google Scholar
- Chen, X.-Z., & Li, Z.-Y. (2007). Strategies control in Chinese research universities: Current state, problems and their causes. [In Chinese]. Tsinghua Journal of Education, 28(2), 44–50.Google Scholar
- Cheng, J.-S. (2005). A statistical analysis of SSCI publications by major Chinese universities. [In Chinese]. University Educational Science, 92(4), 37–39.Google Scholar
- de Moor, R. A. (1993). Academic freedom and university autonomy: Essentials and limitations in academic freedom and university autonomy. Paris: CEPES, UNESCO.Google Scholar
- Gao, Q. (1992). History of Chinese thoughts of higher education. [In Chinese]. Beijing: People’s Education Press.Google Scholar
- Geng, Y.-L. (2008). Some comparisons of key subjects among the universities under the Ministry of Education. [In Chinese]. China Electric Power Education, 13, 11–12.Google Scholar
- Graduate School of Education, Shanghai Jiao Tong University. (2008). Academic ranking of world universities. http://www.arwu.org. Accessed 24 Aug 2008.
- Green, M. F., & Hayward, F. M. (1997). Force for change. In M. F. Green (Ed.), Transforming higher education: Views from leaders around the world (pp. 1–27). Phoenix: Oryx.Google Scholar
- Gu, B.-L. (2004).Scientific research and technology transfer: Understandings and practices from Tsinghua. [In Chinese]. Journal of the National Academy of Education Administration, 5, 51–57.Google Scholar
- Gu, B.-L. (2008a). Speech at Tsinghua University 2007 year teaching and research prize-giving ceremony. http://news.tsinghua.edu.cn/new/news.php?id=17724. Accessed 24 Aug 2008.
- Gu, B.-L. (2008b). Innovation: A way to success for the research university. [In Chinese]. Tsinghua Journal of Education, 29(1), 1–5.Google Scholar
- Hu, P., Wang, Y., & Ma, J. (2006). Reflections on Tsinghua University’s international collaboration. [In Chinese]. Impact of Science on Society, 3, 12–16.Google Scholar
- Husen, T. (1994). The idea of the university: Changing roles, current crisis and future challenges. In T. Husen (Ed.), The role of the university: A global perspective (pp. 7–13). Tokyo: United Nations University.Google Scholar
- Jin, W. (2008). Another good year. http://news.tsinghua.edu.cn/new/news.php?id=17896. Accessed 24 Aug 2008.
- Li, J.-Y., & Hu, R.-Y. (1998). Is science and technology advancement the key element to the transformation of economic growth pattern in China? [In Chinese]. Technoeconomics and Management Research, 39(2), 39–40.Google Scholar
- Li, S.-M. (2007). Research performance of higher education institutions in Beijing, Shanghai, Hong Kong and Taipei, 1994–2005: Analysis of SCI and SSCI data. [In Chinese]. Tsinghua Journal of Education, 28(2), 90–97.Google Scholar
- Maassen, P., & van Vught, F. (1994). Alternative models of governmental steering in higher education: An analysis of steering models and policy-instruments in five countries. In L. Goedegebuure & F. van Vught (Eds.), Comparative policy studies in higher education (pp. 35–65). Utrecht: LEMMA.Google Scholar
- Mei, M. (2004). Stressing innovation to run a first-class university science park. [In Chinese]. China Higher Education, 22, 21–22.Google Scholar
- Ross, H., Luo, Y., & Cen, Y.-H. (2008). Assessing Tsinghua University and US universities on learning process indicators: An approach of higher education quality. [In Chinese]. Tsinghua Journal of Education, 29(2), 36–42.Google Scholar
- Shi, J.-H. (2008). The basis and trend of undergraduate teaching in Chinese research universities. [In Chinese]. Modern University Education, 1, 62–68.Google Scholar
- Wang, D.-Z. (2002). Construction of university academic disciplines and the adjustment of programs: Some practices and experience. [In Chinese]. Chinese University Teaching, 11, 7–9.Google Scholar
- Wang, X.-Y., Yang, X.-H., & Wu, Y.-F. (2005). Analysis and reform on R&T of Tsinghua University published in recent years. [In Chinese]. R & D Management, 17(5), 135–139.Google Scholar
- Wu, M.-S. (2002). Teaching reforms at Tsinghua: Explorations and practices. [In Chinese]. Chinese University Teaching, 4, 16–19.Google Scholar
- Wu, Y.-S. (2007). SCI: A mirror to show the status quo of China’s science and technology developments. http://news.tsinghua.edu.cn/new/news.php?id=16703. Accessed 24 Aug 2008.
- Xie, W.-H. (2006.) The construction and research of social sciences and the Humanities at Tsinghua: Retrospect and Reflections. http://news.tsinghua.edu.cn/new/news.php?id=14276. Accessed 24 Aug 2008.
- Yang, G.-G. (2008, June 27). Tsinghua targets national strategic needs. [In Chinese].China Education Daily,p. 1.Google Scholar
- Zhou, X.-N. (2008). Tsinghua University 2007 Conference to award research and teaching achievements. http://edu.people.com.cn/GB/7135728.html. Accessed 24 Aug 2008.