The Effect of Coupled Heave/Heave Velocity or Sway/Sway Velocity Initial Conditions on Capsize Modeling
Obar et al. (2001) described a series of model tests and a numerical model of a rectangular barge in regular beam seas with three degrees of freedom in roll, heave, and sway used to investigate the onset of capsize. The model had minimal freeboard resulting in significant water-on-deck. This paper employs the numerical model to examine specifically the impact of the coupling in heave with heave velocity initial conditions or in sway with sway velocity initial conditions on ultimate stability. Direct comparison with experimental results was used to validate the numerical model and can be found in Lee et al (Lee, 2001; Lee et al, 2006).
KeywordsWave Height Wave Amplitude Reduce Order Model Integrity Curve Roll Velocity
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Belenky VD, Liut KW, Shin YS. Nonlinear ship roll simulation with water-on-deck. Proc of the 2002 Stab Workshop. Webb Inst. 2002Google Scholar
- Huang J, Cong L, Grochowalski S, Hsiung CC. Capsize analysis for ships with water shipping on and off the deck. Twenty-Second Symp on Naval Hydrodyn. Washington D.C. 1999Google Scholar
- Lee YW. Nonlinear ship motion models to predict capsize in regular beam seas. Doctoral dissertation, Dep of Naval Archit and Mar Eng. University of Michigan Ann Arbor MI 2001Google Scholar
- Lee YW, McCue LS, Obar MS, Troesch AW. Experimental and numerical investigation into the effects of initial conditions on a three degree of freedom capsize model. J of Ship Res 2006 50:1 63-84Google Scholar
- Obar M, Lee YW, Troesch A. An experimental investigation into the effects initial conditions and water on deck have on a three degree of freedom capsize model. Proc of the Fifth Int Workshop on the Stab and Oper Saf of Ships. September 2001Google Scholar
- Soliman, Thompson. Transient and steady state analysis of capsize phenomena. Appl Ocean Res 1991 Taylan M. Static and dynamic aspects of a capsize phenomenon. Ocean Eng. 30: 2003 331-350Google Scholar
- Vassalos D, K Spyrou. An investigation into the combined effects of transverse and directional stabilities on vessel safety. Fourth Int Symp on the Stab of Ships and Ocean Veh. Naples, Italy. 519-527 1990Google Scholar