Building Leadership Capacity Across 5,000 Schools
This chapter describes a systematic leadership development strategy used over several years in the Province of Ontario, Canada, outlining the strategy, the way it developed and the various barriers and constraints on leadership development at a system level. The chapter focuses on the context, development and components of the Ontario Leadership Strategy which aims to attract the right people to leadership roles and to support them once in the role. It shows how the leadership strategy is a supporting condition for the achievement of Ontario’s overall education strategy.
KeywordsStudent Achievement Professional Learning Leadership Development System Leader Professional Learning Community
- Institute for Education Leadership. (2008). Putting Ontario’s leadership framework into action: A guide for school and system leaders. Toronto: Institute for Education Leadership.Google Scholar
- Leithwood, K., Seashore Louis, K., Anderson, S., & Wahlstrom, K. (2004). How leadership influences student learning. A review of research of the learning from leadership project. New York: The Wallace foundation.Google Scholar
- Levin, B. (2008). How to change 5000 schools: A practical and positive approach for leading change at every level. Cambridge, MA: Harvard Education Press.Google Scholar
- Levin, B., Glaze, A., & Fullan, M. (2008). Results without rancor or ranking: Ontario’s success story. Phi Delta Kappan, 90(4), 273–280.Google Scholar
- Ontario Ministry of Education. (2005). Leading education: New supports for principals and vice-principals in Ontario publicly funded schools. Toronto: Ontario Ministry of Education.Google Scholar
- Ontario Ministry of Education. (2008a). Reach every student: Energizing Ontario education. Toronto: Queen’s Printer for Ontario.Google Scholar
- Ontario Ministry of Education. (2008b). Ontario leadership strategy: Summary of the mentoring and coaching pilot evaluation, Toronto. Available on the ministry website http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/policyfunding/leadership/mentoring.html.
- Ontario Ministry of Education. (2008c). Ontario leadership strategy: Summary of the principal/vice-principal appraisal field test evaluation. Toronto: Ontario Ministry of Education.Google Scholar
- Ontario Ministry of Education. (2008d). Ontario leadership strategy: Quick facts. Toronto: Ontario Ministry of Education. Available at http://www.edu.gov.on.ca/eng/policyfunding/leadership/OLS_QuickFacts.pdf