On the Electromagnetic Modelling of Left-Handed Metamaterials
The electromagnetic modelling of discrete left-handed microwave metamaterials is discussed. A continuous-medium approach is proposed for the analysis of a wide class of left-handed and negative permeability media made by placing metallic inclusions in a host dielectric medium. This includes all artificial media made by the superposition of an artificial plasma and a negative magnetic permeability medium made of split ring resonators. The proposed model allows for the consideration of both edge- and broadsidecoupled split rings resonators. It also allows for the use of wires and/or metallic plates in the plasma simulation. Other related physical effects that can appear in these artificial media, such as bianisotropy, are also taken into account. The numerical computations provided by the model are compared with full-wave numerical simulations and experimental results, showing a good agreement. The advantages and disadvantages of the different left-handed metamaterial designs considered along the text are also discussed.
KeywordsArtificial Medium Split Ring Resonator Metallic Plate Negative Refractive Index Artificial Plasma
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 6.Koch, W.E. (1948) Metallic delay lenses, Bell Syst. Tech. J. 27, pp. 58–82.Google Scholar
- 7.Collin, R.E. (1991) Field theory of guided waves, IEEE Press, N.Y.Google Scholar
- 8.Lindell, I.V., Sihvola, A.H., Tretyakov, S.A. and Viitanen, A.J. (1994) Electromagnetic waves in chiral and bi-isotropic media. Artech House, Boston and London.Google Scholar
- 16.Marqués, R., Martel, J., Mesa, F. and Medina, F. (2002) A new 2-D isotropic lefthanded metamaterial design: theory and experiment, Microwave and Opt. Tech. Lett. (in press).Google Scholar
- 17.Marqués, R., Martel, J., Mesa, F. and Medina, F. (2002) Left-handed media simulation and transmission of EM waves in sub-wavelength SRR-loaded metallic waveguides, Phys. Rev. Lett. (accepted for publication).Google Scholar
- 20.Bahl, I., Bhartia, P. (1998) Microwave solid state circuit design, Wiley, N.Y.Google Scholar
- 23.Landau, L., Lifshitz, E. (1980) Statistical Phys., Pergamonn Press, Oxford.Google Scholar
- 25.Smith, D.R., Padilla, W.J., Vier, D.C., Shelby, R., Nemat-Nasser, S.C., Kroll, N. and Schultz, S. (2001) Left-handed metamaterials, in Photonic crystals and light localization in the 21st century, Proceedings of the NATO-ASI Conference on Photonic Crystals and Light Localization. Crete, June pp. 18–30, 2000, ed. by Costas M. Sokoulis (Kluwer Academic, Dordrecht), p. 351.Google Scholar