Symmetry Breaking and Defects
Symmetry-breaking phase transitions are ubiquitous in condensed matter systems and in quantum field theories. There is also good reason to believe that they feature in the very early history of the Universe. At many such transitions topological defects of one kind or another are formed. Because of their inherent stability, they can have important effects on the subsequent behaviour of the system.
KeywordsGauge Theory Domain Wall Symmetry Breaking Defect Formation Homotopy Class
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Yeomans, J.M. (1992) Statistical Mechanics of Phase Transitions, Clarendon, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Tilley, D.R. and Tilley, J. (1990) Superfluidity and Superconductivity, 3rd ed., IoP Publishing, Bristol.Google Scholar
- De Gennes, P.G. and Prost, J. (1993) The Physics of Liquid Crystals, Oxford University Press, Oxford.Google Scholar
- Kibble, T.W.B. (2000) Classification of topological defects and their relevance to cosmology and elsewhere, in Topological Defects and the Non-Equilibrium Dynamics of Symmetry Breaking Phase Transitions, ed. Y.M. Bunkov and H. Godfrin, NATO Science Series C 549, 7–31, Kluwer Academic Publishers, Dordrecht.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Vollhardt, D. and Welfle, P. (1990) The Superfluid Phases of Helium-3, Taylor and Francis, London.Google Scholar
- Volovik, G.E. (1992) Exotic Properties of Superfluid 3 He, World Scientific, Singapore.Google Scholar
- Vachaspati, T. and Vilenkin, A. (1991) Large-scale structure from wiggly cosmic strings, Phys. Rev. Lett. 57, 4629–41.Google Scholar
- Zurek, W.H. (1993) Cosmic strings in laboratory superfluids and topological remnants of other phase transitions, Acta Phys. Polon. B24, 1301–11.Google Scholar
- Monaco, R., Mygind, J. and Rivers, R.J. (2002) Zurek-Kibble domain structures: The dynamics of spontaneous vortex formation in annular Josephson tunneling junctions, Phys. Rev. Lett. 89,080603.Google Scholar
- See for instance ref. , p. 347; but see also Kleinert, H. and Schulte-Frohlinde, V. (2001), Critical properties of φ4-theories, World Scientific Publishing Co., Singapore, p. 18.Google Scholar
-  Hindmarsh, M.B. and Rajantie, A. (2001) Phase transition dynamics in the hot Abelian Higgs model, Phys. Rev. D 64, 065016.Google Scholar