Revised Log-Law Constants for Fully-Developed Turbulent Pipe Flow
The mean velocity profiles of fully-developed turbulent pipe flow obtained by Zagarola & Smits (1998) and McKeon et al. (2002) were corrected for the static pressure measurement error and the velocity gradient Pitot displacement error reported recently by McKeon & Smits (2002) and McKeon et al. (2002). This analysis leads to new and more accurate values of von Kármán and additive constants in the logarithmic region in pipe flow. An interesting comparison with lower Reynolds number boundary layer studies is also made.
KeywordsReynolds Number Friction Factor Pipe Flow Reynolds Number Range Turbulent Pipe Flow
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- Chue, S. H. 1975 Pressure probes for fluid measurement. Prog Aerospace Sci.16 (2).Google Scholar
- Macmillan, F. A. 1956 Experiments on Pitot-tubes in shear flow. Ministry of Supply, Aero. Res. Courte.R & M 3028.Google Scholar
- Mckeon, B. J., Li, J., Jiang, W., Morrison, J. F. & Smits, A. J. 2002 Additional measurements and analysis of high Reynolds number fully-developed pipe flow Advances in Turbulence IX: Eds. I.C. Castro, P.E. Hancock & T.G. Thomas (CIMNE)Google Scholar
- Mckeon, B. J., Li, J., Jiang, W., Morrison, J. F. & Smits, A. J. Pitot probe corrections in fully-developed turbulent pipe flow. In preparation.Google Scholar
- Mckeon, B. J. & Smits, A. J. 2002 Static pressure correction in high Reynolds number fully-developed turbulent pipe flow. Meas. Sci. Tech.13.Google Scholar
- Morrison, J. F., Mckeon, B. J., Jiang, W., & Smits, A. J. Scaling of the streamwise velocity component in turbulent pipe flow. Sub. J. Fluid Mech.Google Scholar
- Österlund, J. M., Johansson, A. V., Nagib, H. M. & Hites, M. H. 2000 A note on the overlap region in turbulent boundary layers. Phys. Fluids12.Google Scholar
- Shaw, R. 1960 The influence of hole dimensions on static pressure measurements J. Fluid Mech.7(4).Google Scholar
- Zagarola, M. V. & Smits, A. J. 1998 Mean flow scaling in turbulent pipe flow. J. Fluid Mech.373.Google Scholar